I'd just like to add that this issue is not really about, or limited to the DIY person. There are many people out there that make a living doing things that they are not qualified to do. They put their customers in Danger and give Electricians a bad name.

A contributor to my 'Rant' Mode:

This week I was at a House where the first floor was recently done over as an Apartment for the owners elderly parent. The contractor had talked them into getting a service upgrade for whatever reason and a Kitchen was put in on the other side of the House where a Laundry room once was. The service was done by a Licensed Electrician, but the additional wiring was not. There were no additional circuits added (only 6 - 8 15A & 20A breakers in the whole panel!) No Electric Stove or Dryer in the house, they could've probably gotten by with a 60A service

The Carpenter had another 'Electrician' do all the Kitchen, Bathroom and New Laundry room wiring. The Bathroom outlet, all the Countertop (5 quads) outlets, Refridge, new wall and ceiling Lighting, the Washer, spare Freezer, Microwave, and Garage lighting all went on the original 20A Washer circuit.

These people hired someone in good faith to do this work and it took all of their savings to make it happen. It is done and they cannot afford to have the Electrical work done properly (redone) at this point. Every room would have to be patched and painted again too in the process.

It just burns me up how people can get away with things like this. I see it a lot.

Bill

Bill