Bill:
Good point where do you draw the line, I ran into one guy who wanted me to draw him a picture of what a service panel should look like when it was all done.
One thing in my area the inspectors are now requiring prospective neo-phyte saturday-morning electricians take a test to gauge there expertise before issueing a permit.
This I think is a good practice.

Oh and Bill Nice article in CEE.

jihmaint:
I know your heart is in the right place and you believe what you told the neo-phyte is correct bur are you sure he understands exactly what you told him.
And if his mechanical skills are not what they should be because he has never done the job before, then how safe can he possibly be.
To me I think that if they (DIYers) have never done this and have no training, and have no competance in the field no amount of explanation and councel is going to bridge that gap. HIs idea of safety and yours, ( and yours has been acquired through years of experience) are probably way distant form each other.
So my question to you is this. Would you send an apprentice off to do the same job you just instructed a co-worker to do at home.
Our apprentices are not even allowed to touch a servie panel unless a journeyman is standing right next to him and thats only after hes been on the job for 6 months.
Have these homeowners are not wise enough to be a 6 months apprentice.
Gotta disagree with this.
-Mark-