I cant tell you how to build your business but I can tell you what worked for me. Make lots of freinds in the other trades! If you buddy up with a plumber or an HVAC man it will come back to you. Go out of your way to look out for the other subs when you starting out. Do'em some favors and they'll remember you when there out on the slab and the GC says he's trying to line up the other subs. This brought me a bunch of work when I started out a few years ago. I was fortunate to work for a good business man while traning but more fortunate to work for a bad business man. I really learned from his mistakes. Here is my list of what I suggest to do.

1 Join home builders assoc.

2 Get your name out. Truck signs, yard signs and biz cards. If you want to deal in new construction DONT get an ad in the phone book.

3 Show up on time as promised (duh)

4 Keep you trucks clean and in good working order. If you cant see the bed of your truck you need to either get busy and install those materials or clean it out.

5 Keep your help clean! No ear, nose or tounge rings. Company shirt is a must, NO EXCUSES.

6 Bill out on time! Turn in your draws as requested. Make sure the builder knows the fee schedule. In residential I use 60/30/10. Youre a little ahead on the money by doing this but it can save your a**. If you don't get your draw, don't go back. I include a job total and balance on my invoices.

7 Get changes in writing and charge for them immediately.

8 Leave the job cleaner than when you got there. Boy this really sticks in a builders head. We broom clean each job before we leave and put all trash in one pile. It takes ten minutes to do, your work looks neater, and you wont believe the things you'll find. Tools, parts and so forth.

9 Make sure you have your ducks in a row. Get all your supplies for the job there the first time. Takes a good bit of prep but it keeps you there working. There's not a whole lot of money in driving to the supply house on a contract job.

Do all this and you too can be an overworked electrical contractor!

[This message has been edited by arseegee (edited 06-15-2002).]