We get most of our work throug word of mouth, but you have to start somewhere. One thing I've done is "scout" subdivisions on the weekends when nobody is on the job. I look for the houses with sloppy work. Then during the week I'll go back and find the super/ builder( I like the personal touch rather than phone to introduce). I ask him/her if they are happy with the electrician and point out a few problems and tell how nice our work is. Generally they will ask what we charge and I tell them that every electrician charges differently but if they will give me a copy of the other electricians bill I'll compare it and let the know what we would charge. You'd be suprised, but most will gladly give you the bill. I don't try to beat the other guy's bill, I generally will figure out how we can come in near the same or slightly higher and point out what we are giving them that the other's aren't.

Side Note: Most builders couldn't care less about the quality inside the walls, so you have to give them things that you can see after the walls are closed in. Assuming you're wires are neat, you can point out that they can use this to sell a buyer in the framing stage.

Hope this helps