ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 269 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#161967 04/10/07 10:21 PM
D
derater Offline OP
Does changing the breaker constitute " working on the circuit" ? i.e. does a panel change (only) require AFCI's for bedrooms ?

G
That is going to be a local call at plan review time.

Greg Fretwell
D
derater Offline OP
Gfretwell; way past planning. the ? relates to a legal matter. IS it code or not ?

Derater:
In NJ, this may be classified as a 'repair' and not require a permit or insp.
NJ does not require AFCI protection, as it was amended in the UCC.
Probably a local/area clarification.
Where are you??
John

John
D
derater Offline OP
I'm in Cent Pa. A 'home inspector' is contending that changing out the panel requires installing AFCI's. I've never heard of such a thing.

L
What was there previously, breakers or fuses? Were any circuits added?

M
Originally Posted by derater
I'm in Cent Pa. A 'home inspector' is contending that changing out the panel requires installing AFCI's. I've never heard of such a thing.

The 2005 code requires AFCI protection of the branch circuit supplying all 120 volt 15 and 20 amp outlets INSTALLED in bedrooms of dwellings. A simple panel replacement usually does not involve any installation of new 120 volt outlets in bedrooms of dwellings, so therefore a careful read of the code section requiring afci protection will highlight the fact that "home inspectors" are generally as far off as my spelling seems to always be.

G
I assume it is universal but any permit pulled in Lee County Florida will go through plan review. It may just be a rubber stamp but it can also be kicked back if it does not include the things they require. That is where the decision would be made if a panel upgrade triggers AFCI installation.
Of course if this gets done without a permit I am not sure who would be there to tell you AFCIs would be required. It is certainly not going to be a home inspector. They are not legally able to cite code unless they are licensed CODE inspectors. Florida does not even recognize "home inspector" as a regulated industry and their "inspectors" are just informal advisors with an occupational license. A home inspector can advise a client of anything they want, down to their favorite color for the toilet but it has no force of law.

Greg Fretwell
G
BTW if you want a laugh, go over the the NACHI BB and see the ridiculous things working home inspectors think are "code".
http://www.nachi.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Yes, we 'review' each app, but plans are not required for 'minor' work (EC's)

"Home Inspectors" can only 'suggest', not require anything here. Most, if not all 'suggest' that a Lic Professional be consulted (CYA on that)

John

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard