ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 278 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
E
yaktx the island shown here requires two receptacles.

H
Guys,

Just for the sake of argument: is the raised breakfast bar behind the sink still part of this island? If it is and if it is wider than 12" then this island only requires 1 receptacle. 210-52 (c) (2)

HLCbuild

L
Hello code experts!
I stumbled onto this forum while researching island receptacle issues from a designer/installer's point of view-I am impressed with the breadth of knowledge that is out there! I am currently working with many high-end customers who do not want to see their expensive furniture grade islands ruined by electrical fixtures. I have devised an idea for concealing outlets below the counter in a tilt down arrangement. When not in use they would be concealed behind a drawer front. My electrician seems to think that if they are concealed they would not meet code. Any thoughts?

H
My customer didn't want to see her "ugly receptacles" either! So I hinged the false door panels and made them real doors!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

G
Now that Scott's straightened y'all out, how about this:

[Linked Image]

I can also look at this and see a knee wall behind the sink, with a peninsula extending from the knee wall.

In this interpretation, the countertop in line with the sink would fall under the 2'/4' rule, and the receptacle on the end of the "peninsula" would be required once more.

Thoughts? smile

-George
G
Originally Posted by larry.sb
I have devised an idea for concealing outlets below the counter in a tilt down arrangement. When not in use they would be concealed behind a drawer front. My electrician seems to think that if they are concealed they would not meet code. Any thoughts?

I wouldn't say concealing the receptacle could be cited as a violation, but requiring the end user to run the cord for their small appliance through a "doorway or similar opening" could potentially be cited.

-George
Cat Servant
210.52 (C)(5) requires the receptacles to be readily accessible. It then goes on to exclude receptacles in appliance garages from consideration as the required receptacles.

This section begins with 'receptacles shall be above' .... but then gives conditions for placing them below the counter.

Some might consider receptacles in a drawer to not be "readily accessible." Just concealing them behind, say, a flip-down panel would appear to be allowed by the NEC.

Unlike some of my other threads, this one was not started to focus on the inadequacies of the NEC. Rather, I wanted to focus cabinet designers on the NEC requirements ... so they could incorporate the receptacles into their designs.

I would not be at all surprised if, eventually, factory made cabinet panels come with receptacles already installed, listed for field assembly.

I
ITO Offline
Originally Posted by electure
[quote]I am amazed at the number of islands I encounter that seem designed to make it impossible to mount receptacles.

Since when have architects ever designed anything with the electrician, mechanical or even plumber in mind?

101° Rx = + /_\
L
"Rather, I wanted to focus cabinet designers on the NEC requirements ... so they could incorporate the receptacles into their designs."--WELL SAID SIR! I can't begin to count the times I have had to re-design projects in the field to satisfy different code issues not addressed in the initial design process. There are many ways to meet these requirements and each situation is different depending on budget, line of sight, etc., but it is very hard to reconcile these issues in the field when the client has a pre-conceived notion as to what the project will look like. Is there a guide or summary of NEC that addresses the code requirements of kitchens and baths for designers?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard