ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#101143 02/13/07 02:47 PM
Here in NJ, I have not seen any furnaces cord & plug connected. All are hard wired.

400.8 would be cited
John

PS, didn't we have this debate previously? I seem to remember another thread.

John
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#101144 02/14/07 09:06 AM
G
I realize that 400.7 Uses Permitted is not all inclusive but item 400.7(8) does talk about appliances connected via cord and cap and there are conditions for that type of connection but the furnaces I see don't meet the requirements listed here.

George Little
#101145 02/14/07 11:47 AM
C
I saw a cord-connected boiler for the first time a few winters ago, which as the others have said is unheard of here. It was a Viessmann, and the EC or plumber who wired it simply put an outlet box on the ceiling and plugged it in (the boiler is wall mount.) I'm guessing all the Viessmann boilers come this way???

Peter

Peter
#101146 02/14/07 01:31 PM
G
They use cord and plug to facilitate the use of a portable generator. My ex had her furnace (blower) rewired that way.
In that regard it is probably safer than the alternatives homeowners come up with like back feeding dryer receptacles.

Greg Fretwell
#101147 02/14/07 04:18 PM
C
Ok, I know that it's a code violation. But, given other cord and plug connected appliances, where is the danger? Think DW's, disposals, microwaves, etc as well as the hundreds of thousands of furnaces that are cord and plug connected in the Western states. I just don't see the hazard.

Peter

Peter
#101148 02/15/07 09:01 PM
T
gfretwell Wrote:
They use cord and plug to facilitate the use of a portable generator. My ex had her furnace (blower) rewired that way.
In that regard it is probably safer than the alternatives homeowners come up with like back feeding dryer receptacles.
I had to bail a homeowner out of a dispute between his heating contractor and the electrical inspector. I have been doing electrical work for thirty five years and only found it worth arguing with an electrical inspector five times at the most. When in doubt comply! The heating contractor had promised to make the new furnace capable of being powered by a generator but the electrical inspector was not willing to allow the cord and plug connection. As a previous poster pointed out the duct work and the gas piping argue pretty convincingly against the unit being suitable for frequent interchange or servicing. I asked the inspector if the cloth vibration section had an hand locking collar and the gas had a off appliance union would he allow the cord and plug. He obviously didn't like it but he said he would sign off. The cost of the changes were rather high though and the heating contractor didn't want to eat the parts and work. I offered to set up a recreational vehicle single pole transfer switch and a flanged inlet in a raised cover of a deep, 4&11/16ths square, (11B) box. Everyone was a lot happier and I picked up a two hour minimum service call out of the deal.

I really do understand the good faith difference of opinion on 400.8 but like other posters I don't understand why it is important. I don't see the compelling state interest in forbidding the use of cord and plug connections on these and similar appliances when the obvious reason to do so is to reduce the need for coordination between the trades involved. It just shouldn't take two visits to provide the power for a plumbing or mechanical job. The insurance companies that write insurance for the crafts very carefully exclude insuring any work beyond the individual crafts license. A plumbing or mechanical contractor that allows their mechanics to perform any work for which the firm and the mechanic are not both appropriately licensed is leaning his head way out after passing out machetes.

[This message has been edited by tdhorne (edited 02-15-2007).]

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
#101149 02/15/07 09:23 PM
T
renosteinke
Moderator posted 02-13-2007 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for renosteinke Click Here to Email renosteinke Edit/Delete Message No, such a heat pump would not be wired using a cord and cap.

The justifications for using cords here are a) the need to service the equipment;
b) the desire to have a receptacle available to the serviceman; and,
c) 430.109(F) recognizes that motors might be cord and plug connected, without making any restrictions as to the conditions under which this may be done.

That last reference, to 430.109(F), is not as clear as it once was. Prior editions to the code clearly stated that such "shall be permitted." The closing reference to portable motors "under 1/3 hp" not needing a horsepower rated rated plug has been the basis for limiting application of the cord & plug as a disconnecting means has been used to justify limiting this method to small motors in practice.

So, out West, one will often find fixed appliances hooked up using cord & plug, especially when the appliance can be served by an 'ordinary' 120v/15a receptacle. We will use pigtails on dishwashers, disposals, trash compactors, air cleaners, air conditioning condensers, circulation pumps, and all manner of things that "back East" might be hard-wired.

Taking the word-wrangling out of the discussion, I like the cord connection mainly because it provides a simple and sure means of disconnecting what you're working on. No more hunting for breakers! It also recognizes that the 'other trade' is not likely to be there at the same time as I; I can provide the receptacle, and he can put in his stuff.

That said, even I have some issues with this cord & plug connected furnace:

IP: Logged

So do I but I have to ask. (Anyone know what the emoticon is for tung in cheek) Was it the unclosed KO, the plaster ring used in place of a raised cover, the plaster ring being in its gravity assisted loosening position, the use of an inappropriate plate, or the receptacle being mounted on the appliance it is supposed to permit the servicing of that you object to.

Lets not stop there what else did I fail to spot.

[This message has been edited by tdhorne (edited 02-15-2007).]

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
#101150 02/15/07 09:52 PM
G
To avoid any confusion I will point out that dishwasters, disposals and trash compactors are specifically allowed to be C&P by 422.16(B). Perhaps we should add furnace blowers

Greg Fretwell
#101151 02/15/07 09:54 PM
Cat Servant
tdhorne, it is a bit hard to tell ... maybe this second pic will better show the receptacle installation:

[Linked Image]

I suspect that this is a replacement furnace - and that the wall had to be removed to remove the earlier furnace.

#101152 02/15/07 10:57 PM
G
I wish this pictured job was in my area I would have a hayday with violations. What a classic example of pig work. So much for providing a receptacle for furnace connections.

George Little
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard