Its code fo rthis appliance but not others, e.g. disposal, dishwasher. And what about the dryer? Usually sitting right next to the washer...that doesn't have top be GFCI protected? I feel like this is more a matter of obscure codes existing and being enforced.

Take a look at the code section that Jim M cited. Any 125-volt, single phase, 15- or 20-amp receptacle within 6' of the laundry sink requires GFCI protection. That would include the washing machine, the dryer, and the convenience outlet if they are within 6' of the sink. Nothing obscure about it.

The peculiar part of this is that we got tagged on it again in another county the same week. Never tagged on it in 17 years and suddenly its an issue in two counties in one week. Sorta makes you think there is a general forum somewhere that many of us in the field aren't privy to.

This requirement is a new requirement. Prior to the 2005 NEC there was no GFCI requirement regarding receptacles near the laundry sink. It's a matter of inspectors and electricians getting up to speed on NEC changes. If you are not privy to NEC changes, I suggest that you make a point to make yourself privy to them.

For what its worth, I agree with others that the $100 reinspection fee is... well.. very high.