I'm an estimator, but I wouldn't have clue as to how to do residential estimates. It is very difficult for me to give unit prices because the customer has a tendency to "gut" the project. Just as soon as I told someone that a Hi Hat is $125.00 per unit, installed, they would say, "OK, we want one."
To which I would reply, "Just one?" Customer says, "Yup, just one." I can tell you that it would probably cost us more than $125.00 just to set foot on their property. Now, if we were installing 10 of them, and the customer understands that deducting a fixture won't get him a full $125.00 deduct, I might be more willing to look at giving unit prices on an estimate.
Over here on the commercial/industrial side, things operate a little differently than the residential side. I'm not saying that either one is right or wrong, just different.
By the way, for those who have "microsoft excel", I have a spread sheet that I put together that might be of interest. Hit me with an e-mail, and I will send it to any who are interested.
Estimatologically Yours,
Doc
Director of Wattology, Electric University

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX