If the city retains full liability for approving a design even if an engineer stamps a drawing, then why the hell are my insurance rates so high?
Steve I don't doubt you in the least.

However that situation is very unusually, of the approx 60,000 ECs in the US very few work on the type of jobs that you are designing.
Well, that was an example from my last position, before my latest promotion, when I was working more on the electronics side. I'm now a "chief engineer" of sorts, and work almost exclusively commercial-power type work on US bases (or US buildings on allied bases.) Same type work you all do, basically. And I'm still learning, I've only been doing this for a little over a year now, it will take me at least 3 or 4 more before I can start calling myself an "expert!" I have to point out that I *did* pass the Power PE exam though, which proves I'm at least capable of being competant [Linked Image]

I have no knowledge of the IBC, it is not used here. As far as the NEC I disagree there is a lot of room for judgment by an AHJ. There are a few specific sections intentionally left up to the AHJ but the majority is not up to interpretation.
Look up your state/city code. VA never actually invokes NEC; NEC is merely referenced as the electrical portion of the IBC. I imagine most states are similar.

At any rate, NEC 90.2(C) and 90.4 states explicitely that AHJs can allow deviations anywhere in the code they see fit.

That is why many areas feel they have to amend the NEC. If an area adopts the NEC and did not amend it the AHJ can not just ignore the NEC when an engineer (or even the AHJ themselves) decides they want to do something outside the NEC.
No, NEC actually allows exactly that. No ammendments necessary.

[This message has been edited by SteveFehr (edited 02-09-2007).]