It is also why I am so strident in asserting that it is the electrician, not the engineer, who is the expert in code matters. An electrician has years of formal training in electrical matters; even an "electrical engineer" has absolutely none. (Check the curriculum at the engineering school of your choice- don't just take my word for it!) Engineers, even EE's, are valuable applied trades, but electrical work is not their trade.
I disagree- Electricians and Power Engineers are both required to be experts in code, but the areas of the code both are expert in vary. For example, engineers seldom get involved with the details- we require a component be grounded, but are largely unconcerned with HOW it be grounded, and the details are left to the electrician. I might specify RGS or compression-couplings on EMT in areas where I'm concerned about parasitic EMI in an electronic facility, or put certain requirements on the size of a neutral, though. Or ensure that specific types of transformers are installed that block harmonics and minimize fault current levels. All these things must be installed by code, and current levels calculated so that ampacities and derating can likewise meet code. So, if it's routine, my drawings tell you what to install, tell you what conductors to install in what conduit/cable tray/etc, and generally leave it at that.

If a question ever comes up on ANY issues of code or design, though, it's the engineer who's called in to make the final determination.

It's only if there are special situations where more detail is required- in some situations, I will pore endlessly over specifications and requirements and technical data from all involved and specify, for example, not only what bolt, which which PRECISE bolt be used and will give you a procedure on how to turn it; if you disagree and want to do it differently, it had better be on the proper form and in triplicate, and you'd better wait for my response before doing anything. I work for the federal government, though- this isn't very likely to happen when wiring up a wal-mart or mini-mall.

[This message has been edited by SteveFehr (edited 02-09-2007).]