thanks everybody..

My user name was just in jest... poking fun, y'know. I didn't mean to make a big issue out of it, but due to my lack of experience it is an amplifier and I have run into problems with it. Work well done speaks for itself, so I know this won't be the case later down the road. It's just getting there...

mahlere asked my age, and yes I fall into the younger category -- 25 -- but I'm already fairly hitched and have a kid (no plans for more), and even IF the unspeakable were to happen (maternity leave), there would be plenty of notice (6+ months?) and I'd be back. Really not such a scary thing. I don't do barefoot in the kitchen -- except for occasional fun of course. ;D

Well I guess we've pretty much covered it, then, I'll keep plugging away with what I'm doing... I just wanted to check that there wasn't some first-step opportunity I'm overlooking. And maybe renosteinke is right -- if I get fed-up knocking on doors I'll just go be a happy little workhorse in construction for awhile and bide my time.

togol asked why I've been turned down for apprenticeships: it's mostly the experience thing. The old paradox of needing experience and noplace to get it. I've had issues with the politics, too, but if I just had some experience to go on I could clear that hurdle. I had a good shot at one apprenticeship actually, but it turned out that I'd have to be out of town for weeks at a time and I'm not in a position to do that until my son is older. I can do a few days, but not weeks unfortunately. That's just my lot.

Thanks for all the input, I'll be lurking around. And thanks for the chat invite, I'll drop in sometime.