Hiya Germs [Linked Image]
While I agree with some, but not all of what's been said above.. Stick to your guns and you'll do fine [Linked Image] I've worked with a female apprentice before with no problems whatsoever on a couple TI jobs. She took care of the things I asked for, not to mention a decent hand and eye for conduit bending. I also had a female J-man help me on a deuce of a service job I had thrown in my lap a few years ago... she was awesome as well..
As far as being able to lift 1000' of romex off a truck, our company has male helpers that would have a helluva time with that as well.. Some people are just stronger than others... male OR female. (Romex comes in 250' rolls that I'm sure you could handle [Linked Image] ) Brains and an sharp eye for details will carry you much further in this trade than braun, but don't be afraid of getting a bit (or really) dirty now and then.
A smaller EC shop might be easier to get your foot in the door to just coming into the trade, (especially one that does alot of T&M). get some on the job experience along with the classes you're taking/have taken, I don't see any problems getting to where you want to be.. There are alot of facets to the electrical trades. Look into all of em! Gov't apprentice electrician jobs are rare, (at least where I've been)but could hold a good future once you've been around the trade for a while. (The girl who helped me on the service call was also an electrician for LAUSD)
Reality will be that you might be looked at by some as a "female" vs. an "electrician".. This is unfortunate, but in my experience around female j-men, rare.
As John (renosteinke) said, drop by the chat sometime... There's people from all over the place that do all different parts of the electrical trades here... Not to mention decades and decades of experience. This is a great place to learn about most anything in the electrical biz [Linked Image]

Best wishes
Randy