Wow, thanks for all the replies in such a short period of time! I'm wondering more about what type of experience I should be looking to get and how. I know it's slow season, etc., etc., but IF you were hiring, what would impress you about somebody just entering the trade? What would make you go for it?

Me being a woman, as has been pointed out, matters to some and not to others. I've found it matters to more than I had initially expected, but that's an issue that won't matter so much if I can just get some experience to begin with. And uh.. roughly what does a 1000' spool of romex weigh? I'll get on that. ;D

I think Lone Gunman put it perfectly, most are just worried about a lawsuit. If it helps, I've worked as a civi for the military and it seems that sadly there are alot of BS claims just because they are trying to take the whole "equality" thing so seriously that is no longer in fact equal -- woman cries wolf, yer a wolf, that's it, no questions. I sympathize.

Personally, I don't have to hide behind some stupid harrassment suit, I handle myself thank you, I'm not some socially inept helpless waif. There would have to be something downright forceful involved and it would take a real sick f--- to push things that far.

e57 - thanks for the targetting tips. And the grin. ;D

So, what type of experience can I try to get over the next guy to get into this? PLC programming? Should I try to get in at a motor/controls shop for awhile? What is going to put me ahead.