DeWalt or Milwaukee? remids me of the Less filling / tastes great debate. Can there ever be a winner?

I say, forget price, forget the sets....concentrate on what your needs are, and buy accordingly.

I certainly don't want to carry different batteries and chargers for each tool. So- product line is important to me. Important enough that I'll be happy with the "second place" tool most of the time.
I also like to hold on to my tools....and one way to help me keep them is to have mine a different brand than everyone else. This is especially important if it can be possible to confuse "personal" with "company" equipment.

Kits are deceptive.....you generally get a tool that you don't need (I need a circular saw about as much as a fish needs a bicycle!), only one or two batteries, and a monster case. This is kind of wasteful, as I typically carry six to eight batteries, and re-package my tools to suit my needs.

Hammer drills are great- but WILL wear out- especially if they're used for more than setting screw anchors!
An 18 volt drill gets heavy, fast.
The flashlights are great- but I've had little luck with the "snake" lights.
I have no use for a radio that's not also a charger.

Other tools that come in handy from time to time....often used only for a few moments, so 'cordless' is an advantage...are a vacuum (that can handle sheetrock dust), an angle grinder, a 'sawzall' type tool, and angle drill.
One "freebie" worth having is a cooler; batteries last a lot longer when stored in it - the hot summer sun is death on battereis kept on the truck. Let's see...$10 cooler once, or $75 batteries regularily...which should I choose?

For me, DeWalt wins the contest. IF Milwaukee expands its' product line, that MIGHT change.