The compitition problem is wide spread over the whole Bay Area. Don't get me wrong, I am well aware of what mat mark-up is for, and how to work the numbers in my favor. Nor do I do any work for free or at a loss. And there is so much work out there, no lack of that, and lay in the center of it. My average commute to a job is 3 miles! I also have only ever taken a day off by choice, in the last ten years here!

The problem here is that the are TOO many of us here. We have EC's coming in from 80 miles around. Many with slave waged and unqualified labor, little over-head and desparation. (which is why they come in droves, there isn't much work where they are.) So there is a lot of under cutting, or rightly, "cut throat".

Another issue, is the customer base here is very well edjucated! The average new home owner goes directly into remodel mode on purchase, which is great! Bad part, they have a wealth of experianced freinds who've done the same for "How to wittle away at the cost." A lot of the older money here is very edjucated in contract negotiation, as most of thier mansions are in constant re-model, trying to out do each other.

Four months from now we are all due for a big shake up of the electrical trade! Due to a law about to take effect. It requires Certified Journeymen for any work over 100VA, for all employees of C-10's. No one is quite sure what will happen... I actually fight against and maintain a webpage about it, but for policital reasons don't talk about it here. (Not ECN policy to discuss politics here) In short, I don't like the law for its many loop-holes, but think in ideal is great. Anyway in four months our market is going to change possibly... Better? All the hacks are gone. Worse? We compete with landscapers for service upgrades. Who knows....

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 08-29-2004).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason