The lemon of a Dewalt I had was the model 988 18 volt, 3 speed hammer drill. In all the gears, it acts like the clutch is toast, but it doesn't have the same kind of clutch as the older types did. It has a plastic transmission housing, that the gears are in, and an oval shaft, that deformed the slot within the plastic housing. This shaft is what selects the torque settings and the hammer function. I have noticed on the newer models (also made at a different facility) that the tranny housing is of a different casting. Perhaps the have corrected the issue I have had. They fixed it 3 times for me for free, and the same damn thing keeps happening, using 3/4" paddle bits through a 2X4. and definately not abuse for this tool. thanks for your replies, think I'll get it fixed one last time, and sell the whole set on ebay for what I can get for it, and buy a milwaukee.