Trumpy, as far as I can tell, the certification marks that I slapped on the board are just for the People's Republic of China market.

I guess it's similar to Nemko, Demko, UL, CSA, etc. except it's mandatory, unlike UL.

It's really tempting to see and want to buy these nice shiny socket sets in the stores, only to realize that they're Mickey Mouse knuckle breakers. A Snap-On set is in the hundreds of dollars....well out of the reach of many Joe Shadetree fellows.

Mickey Mouse tools are OK...for once in a while use....in an emergency when you're stuck. But for serious work, you have to stick with the good stuff. I can't say enough about what a pleasure it is to work with properly finished and sized screwdrivers especially.

I've noticed the pipe wrenches being sold at Home Depot come from China....but the one I used gave no problems....of course I only used it once..so who knows.

As far as "Buy American" is concerned, it's easy to say that, but sometimes you don't have a choice because the product just isn't there.

I would love a nice cassette recorder manufactured in the USA, but there are none. EVERYTHING is made in P.R.C. Same thing with those portable 5" mono-chrome TV sets...all made in China (probably by one big company)...

A lot of tool companies are moving manufacturing overseas. Stanley (a brand I respected) is making hammers in Taiwan now.

Are they Mickey-Mouse? I dunno. They seem nice, but I'm afraid to try...considering the bad reputation that Far-East Asian tools have created here.

The last hammer I bought was Chinese. Head made in China, handle made of American hickory. The damned head wobbles a bit...and I can't add another wedge or see what the problem is because they potted that hole in the top with tar!! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 03-16-2003).]