pauluk, you hit the nail on the head! we only see their "export quality" stuff and ... actually, they really do have some very high quality products in china, but the outside world never see's it.

Gramps, this is true. I think it's the case with every country in the world. You manufacture the good stuff for your home market and export the crap.

I'm sure the average Chinese mechanic uses Chinese-manufactured tools that are as good as anything that Snap-On or Maco has put out. Ditto the average Chinese electrician.

Wiring devices and cordsets produced for the People's Republic of China domestic market must carry the CCEE mark (commonly referred to as the Great Wall Mark). Anything you see with this Mark is of reasonably good quality (at least that's been my experience).

This is the recognized approvals authority in PRC. The emblem looks like this:

[Linked Image from allaboutknowledge.com]

In 2002, the State Administration of the People's Republic of China for Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine has announced a new Safety License System implementation requiring mandatory Safety License approval for 132 product categories.

The new Safety Mark is called CCC and replaced the previous CCIB and CCEE mark. The new system went into effect on May 1st, 2002 and grants existing CCIB and CCEE mark approved products a 12 months conversion period.

This is the new Mark:
[Linked Image from allaboutknowledge.com]

Personally I liked the looks of the Great Wall Mark better...it looked unique. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 03-13-2003).]