Originally Posted by gfretwell

We do a visual inspection and that is really about it. The inspector takes a lot on faith but if you don't have faith, based on what you see, that visual inspection can get pretty extensive.

No disrepect, Greg, but I find that quite bizarre that actual electrical testing doesn't figure into an inspection over there.
I mean, that is quite a bit of liability to take on and I'm not sure I'd like that, if I could be sued down the track, for whatever reason, if there was a problem with the installation wiring later on in it's life and this caused either electric shock or a fire, because of that installation.

I've always believed that at the very least, a new installation (or parts thereof) should be subjected to an Insulation Resistance test, and a Polarity test, all done at the main panel, before the circuit(s) is energised.
Then once energised, a Fault-Loop test is performed, to make sure that the Perspective Short Circuit Current is lower than the installed circuit protection.
Also, is there no mandated testing (with a dedicated tester) of GFCI's in the US, when a place is first energised?

Don't get me wrong Greg, I'm not having a go at you because you were the first to mention it here, it just all seems very strange to me. cool