Hey Simon,
Sorry for such a late response to your reply.

Electricians amongst themselves are an un-known quantity, you could get people like us here that actually care about the work that they do (that is why they're here) or you could end up with some idiot that is a danger to life and property, by the short-cuts they take and what have you.(Don't get me wrong, I have worked with people like this, they are out there)

Pretty much, if you are good on the tools, any decent Electrician should be able to see that, first off, however I will say this, no-one starts off at the top of the company and if you work with a sole-trader, you are going to be the guy that takes out the trash from a job.

I've done this as an Apprentice, everyone has to do this, it's like a rite of passage, those that complain, don't often last that long, just be aware of it. smile
The best boss/worker you can have, is the one that constantly asks you questions while you work, especially about Regs and the way you do stuff, bearing in mind that they've probably done the same work a thousand times over.

The even better boss/worker is the one that you can ask why this is done like this or so forth, that is real learning + experience.

With respect to that Black & Decker book, I'm not sure that it would be a good way to learn wiring, I could be wrong, but Black & Decker are not intrinsically known for good quality publications.

Take Care, Simon,
If you have any further questions, by all means just ask.

Mike T.
cool