Originally Posted by Trumpy
Hi Simon,
I suppose the real question would be, how much actual wiring experience do you have?

Hello,
thanks for the reponses.
I have worked on ships for the most part. Cable pulling, fitting equipment and terminating. No real testing. This course I am currently doing (though on hold for the obvious) is specifically testing. I believe that it would not take long to get into the swing of things after seeing what is expected. I have the hand skills and trying to improve by buying components and fixing them to a board and making/testing the circuits that way. I am not that quick with regs but I would be working as a mate until I get up to speed. My fear is getting lumped with a miserable numpty that wants me to think he is god because he has memorised a few regs and claims to know it all. That can be a real spanner in the works. I have a book coming,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0760353573/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Black & Decker The Complete Guide to Wiring, Updated 7th Edition: Current with 2017-2020 Electrical Codes

looks ok.
I was thinking about trying to contact a local house bashing spark and ask if I could shadow him for free. I thought an extra pair of hands for free may sway it, in exchange for some hands on experience and a question here or there. Though this worries me also, I don't want to be a slave to someone. If I asked this of you, would you expect me to clear away all your rubbish?
My thoughts are that I offer my current experience/tools/time to help complete him a paid job. In exchange I get experience and help with any questions. Though I try to keep the questions to a minimum, makes you look stupid and naieve apparently. Problem is sometimes I don't get how a person may explain something.
Anyway, thats all for now and a lot too
Thanks for the help
Stay safe!
Simon