I suppose one might start the definition of 'code nazi' with: Someone obsessed with his authority, who is unable to distinguish between his oersonal preferences and actual code requirements.'

Let me illustrate the point with an actual example: A maintenance guy with some extra time on his hands took to painting the cabinets, including the "Flamables" cabinet, in the workshop. For his pleasure, he painted them blue with white doors. Another person objected, saying it was required that the 'Flamables" cabinet be painted yellow. Here's a summary of the discussions that followed:

MG: "Really? What code says that?"

CN: "Well, how come you only see yellow ones then?"

MG: "Here's a catalog. I see them in yellow, red, white, green and even black."

CN: "well, code says it."

MG: "Here's an ANSI standard for these cabinets, It says nothing about the color of the cabinet, just that it has to be marked."

CN: "Well, it the local code."

MG: "Here's the local code. From what I see, the HAVE to be blue, because there's propane stored in them."

CN: "Well, it still isn't right, there must be another code."

MG: "Good. You find it and I'll follow it. I've done more than my share already."

And the issue continued to fester, with the work subject to all manner of critique. One bearing had too much grease, while another didn't have enough; one drive was too tight, while another wasn't tight enough. Etc. I think that explains what is a 'code nazi.'

In the examples shown here, it's not the installers' fault the NEC is vague on this point, only saying the cables will be 'supported.' Perhaps the code panel left it vague on purpose, only wanting the stuff not to 'flop around too much.' There's certainly no requirement that any sort of listing or approval be necessary for the support means.