John, I think the biggest help for owner/builders would probably be at the intake and plan review stage.
That is the time when the BO could figure out if the HO was actually going to be doing the work and what code issues they are going to be dealing with. That could be an extra charge deal. If you want to submit your plans like a regular EC, be prepared to keep coming back until you get it right but for some extra money they would actually give you some advice and coaching through the process.
I did all the permitting for my addition and the hardest part was actually the process. The electrical part was no problem (I knew what that was all about) but I got into septic and engineering issues that I really needed some coaching on. Fortunately they were kind and helped me eventually but it took 7 trips to get my permit.
I knew I was asking for more than I was paying for.
I would have happily paid them a couple hundred extra if they would have helped me through the process.

I do understand there are people who cheat on owner builder but in Florida the only real requirement is that you hire real contractors or you pay taxes and insurance for casual labor. It is a gray area when it comes to relatives and friends. "Pay" seems to be the tipping point. That is really as much an insurance issue as anything. "Call your HO insurance agent" kind of thing.
If you hire subs in HVAC, Electrical or Plumbing you need to list them on your permit but you are still the responsible person in the end because you are acting as GC.
The only thing I contracted was the masonry, from excavation to tie beam and I had a roof framer but neither of them have to be listed, only licensed/insured and they were.

Greg Fretwell