NJ Wireman,

I agree docking their pay or withholding it is a bad idea even if it were legal. I worked for a contractor that provided no health insurance, no retirement plan, no vacation or sickleave and no holiday pay. Sometimes you would go weeks without a paycheck and then sometimes it would not clear. Imagine if he started docking my pay when I made mistakes. Most electricians in my opinion are underpaid and undercompensated and docking their pay isn't going to motivate them more. I believe most contractors don't charge enough for their services so that they can offer the proper incentives to their employees. If you want to attract the best employees you need to offer the best in compensation. Charge enough to compensate your employees well and they will take care of you and your customers. Employees could recieve a bonus at the end of the year based on their performance. The better their performance the bigger the bonus. Poor performance no bonus.
I believe positive insentives is the way to go. Start docking their pay and it may cost you more than you will ever know. If you have an employee on a service call and he has a chance to sell more work to the customer while there do you think he will when his pay has been docked. How do you think he will treat the customer? You may start loosing your customers.

[This message has been edited by A-Line (edited 12-08-2004).]