The car angle had crossed my mind as well. I've been carrying out my own repairs and maintenance ever since I started driving at 17, and use a garage only when it's something too big or too awkward to handle myself. (As do many people, especially as the local rate is something like £50 per hour!)
one of the worse offenders are the kitchen/bathroom companies who want to do the whole job in a day
Have to agree there. All they care about is the outward appearance.
Bob,
Jump in all you want....
![[Linked Image]](https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/wink.gif)
There is nothing here to stop anyone working on water or drain lines, although the water bye-laws (our equivalent of local ordinances) do sometimes specify certain requirements. In practice, few people know about them and even fewer care. Certain plumbing additions are supposed to be notified to the local council, but I don't know of anyone who actually bothers. (Our council is so hopelessly bureaucratic and inefficient, that we try to have as little to do with it as possible.)
I think this is a good arrangement, a homeowner can work on the home they live in (no renters can live there) but they can not just do whatever they want, they must follow the rules.
Sounds a reasonable compromise. Just one point though: What happens if somebody has been living in his own house, carried out works, then decides to rent it out?