PaulUK, firstly you are incorrect about the Gas regulations. ANYONE can install or repair any Gas appliance in their home, so long as they do not rent any part of it out to anyone who is not a member of their immediate family.
Hmmm.... That's contrary to what I've been told and believed for many years, but I spent a while searching the net and stand corrected.
Most of the references I found state that CORGI-registration is needed for fitting gas equipment as a commercial activity, but also point out that the law states that even DIY gas work on one's own home must be done by a "competent" person. Someone suggested that "competent" implies CORGI-registered anyway, although that's not how I would read it. I guess it's another of those vague laws which keep lawyers rich.....
You say the Government have no right to say what a person can and cannot do in their own home..
No. What I said was that the government has no business telling somebody that he can't carry out works
on his own house. Requring such works to be carried out to a certain minimum standard for safety is one thing, but banning somebody from doing those works himself is entirely another.
How far do you take the "People need to be protected from themselves" argument? Improperly prepared and cooked foods can cause severe illness, so why not make it illegal to cook one's own meals, unless a qualified, licensed chef? Where do you draw the line?
And as far as part P goes I think it will just create another tier of burocracy that only a few will partake in.
Definitely. Part P specifies plenty of wiring jobs which are outside its scope anyway, it's full of vague phrases open to individual interpretation, and will largely be ignored.
You might like to look back at this thread from last year where we discussed this:
New laws for U.K. Domestic wiring?