Hi

I am after others views on what I did with a new ceiling light fitting, as I have been met with mixed views and basically had local guys try to scare me into using their services.

By the way, I am in the UK, and the lighting system is a Loop (4 earths, live, neutral, 3 black)) system.

Basically, I bought a new fitting which should sit flush with the ceiling. Well, when I got round to preparing to put it up, it became obvious that the rose (from which a cable was fed through) would be an obstruction, so I did a bit of research on the net, and found that the most common practice is to get cable connectors, and replace the rose with this method of wiring. The problem I came into was that the wires have been cut VERY short, and therefore proving extremely difficult to get the connections secure. So to cut to the chase, I thought of enlarging the hole in the ceiling, and just pushing the rose through the hole (the light fitting is quite large and would conceal any hole).

As I see it, all the wiring is right, and contained within its own unit, with no chance of being moved or disturbed, and to describe it as basically as possible, I am only changing the 'end' of what fitting/cable was already there (hanging down from the ceiling), because the rest of the new light design is purely cosmetic, and therefore unaffective to the actual wiring of the unit.

And lastly, assuming that placing a rose inside the ceiling (they do it with junction boxes, right?) is acceptable and safe, I was wondering, as the rose has all the earth wires connected to it, do I still need to fit an earth cable onto the light fitting itself?

Many thanks in advance for your opinions and advice!

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 09-01-2003).]