Hello Mike,

Yes, that's the residential tariff. If you pay for the business tarriff you get a static IP address and a faster uplink, so that you can host your own web servers etc.

The ADSL provision here is always by the phone company, Belgacom, but one can choose to which ISP they patch through the other end of your line. I went with Skynet, which is also a part of Belgacom, because they have always been pretty reliable, but I've heard others say good things about wanadoo and easynet.

There was no installation fee, just fill in a form in the phone shop and wait two days for them to turn it on. No drama, as I they say where you are :-) I just had to pay for the Alcatel modem, and as I signed up on a special offer they threw in the line filters for free also. Running costs are about 27 euros pcm.

There are also alternative services that are provided by the cable TV company, and those seem to be popular up in Flanders (Dutch speaking cities like Antwerp have broadband provision by a company called Telenet), but in Brussels and I believe throughout most of Wallonia (the French speaking region south of Brux) I believe the ADSL package is more popular. There is another cable TV provider in Brussels called coditel; I don't know how much that costs but it seems not to be very popular.

You may chuckle about TELEX, but it's on my CV -- designing and implementing interfaces to a TELEX server from various mainframe systems in banks. And it is still used *extensively* in finance, for sending money transfer and trade or settlement instructions from participating banks to clearing houses. The international S.W.I.F.T. network, which is based at La Hulpe just south of Brussels, has only just this year switched off its old 9600 bps X-25 packet switched network, and they thought that was an almost dangerously radical step to be taking :-)