My junior high school (in Denver) was so bad that the kids would quite literally TIE other kids to the sides of those transformers - there were two such rooms at my school (no waiting ). The very thought of trying to escape from a situation like that with those open bushings only about a foot or so from your head was terrifying .

Mike (mamills)

Stories like that really make me about to lose my breakfast. Granted, most kids are fundamentally ignorant of just how dangerous those humming pots really are, but the school should have been more viligant in keeping the bloody doors locked!!

My High School had an old style oil switch located outside the metal/auto shops. It controlled the primary of the indoor dry transformer serving the entire east side of the campus. Despite being in a fenced, (but close-fitting) chain link cage, it had failed violently TWICE when pranksters opened it under load. (It did have a sign posted , "DO NOT OPEN UNDER LOAD", but who in H.S. other than oh, me, knew what that meant?) The handle could be reached through the gap in the fence and it wasn't locked in the on position.

The H.S. finally enclosed it fully behind a cinder-block "bunker."

Stupid should be painful.