e57, I had not looked at it in quite that way...but if it keeps him SILENT... :-)

We used to have a local radio show, where a local lawyer fielded questions. I never, ever heard a caller say "I'm an unreasonable busy-body who like to make trouble." No, it was always the other guy being 'out of touch.'

For example, I have heard two new residents complain about 'all the mobile homes around here'.... when they just moved into what was once listed by Guines as the "Worlds' largest trailer park!" And both of them thought I was being unreasonable for suggestion they go back where they came from!

Maybe, just possibly, YOU are the one who unwittingly violated some local taboo. After all, I've seen all sorts of silliness.
(Writing from Nevada, we have some trouble believing that gambling, full auto firearms, 24 hr drinking, or brothels would be outlawed anywhere. It just doesn't seem right...)

It is also quite possible the neighbor is a miserable busy-body, who would love to lord it over all. Which, perhaps, is why our Assembly only meets every other year... less opportunity to pass silly laws!