Not every electrician should be the one to teach apprentices. I can proudly say I have taught apprentices that have gone on to be foremen and licensed master electricians. I would like to think I am partly responsible for their success. I always try to get the apprentice to start holding himself/herself to a higher level of professionalism. I do this by example. I will explain to them that I hold myself to the same higher level also. I do my installs per the NEC no cheating allowed ! I will not allow those on my jobs to cheat. If it's not right it comes out !
I feel I was quite lucky when I started in this trade 23 years ago. I went to work for a guy who was a stickler for details. No Cheating allowed. do it right the first time type of person. He would also stop what ever he was doing and answer questions or explain things to me. He showed me how to do things , explained why, then had me do them. The big thing is he was not a screamer! Always calm . He is still doing electrical work today and I am still in contact with him, I consider him a mentor and friend for life ! This is the approach I use to teach my apprentices.
Ken Horak
(luckyshadow)

[This message has been edited by luckyshadow (edited 10-01-2005).]