I am a first generation electrical contractor too. Got into the trade helping my uncle back when I was 12. Never got those electrons out of my system.

Installed a 28kva three phase theatrical lighting system in my high school with the help of my best friend at age 15 (under the supervision of a licensed contractor whos kid went to school with us). He's now an electrical engineer.

In college I opened a commercial sound and lighting company doing installs in schools, churches, clubs and restaurants. Got into doing intelligent lighting (Martin, Lightwave Research) and had a good niche going but the travel was rough. Graduated college and realized it was easier to wire a whole house than rig a 800 pound speaker cluster in an 80 foot cathedral in a church.

Went to work with a local electrical company and did'nt learn much. Changed companys and learned what NOT to do to be successful. Went back to school and learned more in three months than I had in 8 years in the trade. I am a ball busting code stickler to work for and my employees and customers know it.