Our society has changed its views of the trades from what used to be very respectable careers to almost looking upon them as a cop-out...almost like joining the military.

Lets see when I was 17 and a half I was on my way to Cuba in October 1962, with an MOS of 0300, basic rifleman. I hadnt realized that serving ones country had denegrated to a cop-out.
So I guess I almost copped-out and stayed in until 1967. When I got married and proceeded to have 5 kids, not all at once either, thats when I became a apprentice electrician about june '68, when I started in a Steel Mill. Like George night school and trying to raise a family.
I see the apprentices today and see some good ones and some who are only in it for what they can get out of it.
As far as I am conccerned I am in this trade because I dont love anything as much, and as Steve says, you have to be dedicated and a lifelong student of the trade because its constantly changing. What others perceive our trade to be ? I could care less, because when the power goes out, 'who they gonna call' You know who. the Electrician thats who . [Linked Image]

-Mark-