If I misread your intent, mea culpa.

Lemme see, when I came in the trade, 4 years practical field experience....PERIOD for a journeymans license in the tri-state area where I work (VA, MD, DC).

Masters - you had to hold a journeymans card for 4 years, or 8 years trade experience (or 4 years trade experience + engineers degree).

Class A Va state masters - 8 years trade experience, letter from engineering firm stating that you have had 4 years working with design, letter from architect stating your design experience, letter from supply house stating your business expertise, letter from another master stating personal experience running work of OVER 1 million dollars. Letter from banker stating record. 16 hour masters test - not only CLOSED book code portion, but I had to calculate a hospital, a shopping mall, and a few dozen other minor type calcs. Had mine since 1981, at the time I was the youngest man to ever complete the requirements.

The District of Columbia had a law that required an engineer to have a master sign that his design was workable, an unlimited master of course.

Now in those days, (lemme put my teeth back in and adjust my glasses, sonny) the only test I was allowed to use a calculator in was the VA state Class A, and mine was the first group to do so. It was slide rule and pencil. I possess over 30 masters licenses in different counties and jurisdictions.

Now - 3 hour open book test. All jurisdictions.

In VA, a 3 hour test gets you the journeymans card, hold it one year and you can take the 3 hour masters test. I only know VA because I teach apprentices and try to keep up on it for them, not sure about the others as far as time goes, but the tests are the same because they are administered by a private testing company.

Kinda see why it looks as if the requirements may be slipping?