ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#98346 06/01/06 08:03 AM
P
If anyone is interested in looking San Jose?s fees here is a link:

Good grief, the only thing which seems to be missing is the "Change of socks" fee. [Linked Image]

I imagine there must be a lot of non-notified, non-permitted work carried out in the city with all those charges.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#98347 06/01/06 10:36 AM
H
Actually, I was going to just put in a 20 AMP GFI and forget about it but then I've got a duplex receptacle where it is supposed a dedicated appliance circuit.

Whatever, we put a GFI Breaker in the panel and are forgetting about it...

Thanks for all the input.

PS: Yeah Dublin, OH is the municipality. Its one of these ritzy towns that gets all they can from the little people...

#98348 06/02/06 04:34 PM
T
quote:If anyone is interested in looking San Jose?s fees here is a link:

Good grief, the only thing which seems to be missing is the "Change of socks" fee.

I imagine there must be a lot of non-notified, non-permitted work carried out in the city with all those charges.

Well, they do have to kick in their portion of the cost of the new city hall (Taj Majal), so they are raising fees, despite what was promised the voters when the city hall issue was on the ballot.. (it was supposed to be revenue neutral, with costs offset by the sale of the old city hall, as well as reduced costs from moving out of leased space.)

#98349 06/02/06 05:11 PM
L
"I read recently somewhere about a case where an internal situation caused the exterior metal casing of a washing machine to become "HOT". The individual touched the washer and the faucet of the laundry sink, & became the conductor."

This is the concern of everything electrical, and is why there is an EGC; and why wasn't that event prevented by the EGC of the washing machine's cord and circuit opening the fuse/breaker?

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
#98350 06/02/06 07:01 PM
Larry:
As I remember......
The EGC was either non-existant, or maybe the grd prong was snapped off, which caused the situation.

As I said, I don't remember ALL the details, or where I read it. I ONLY mentioned it as why some people may want to install GFI's in places that are not required.

John

John
#98351 06/08/06 10:24 AM
H
Except this is not an issue of someone just "wanting to install a GFCI". This is an issue of the fact that it is code. Its code fo rthis appliance but not others, e.g. disposal, dishwasher. And what about the dryer? Usually sitting right next to the washer...that doesn't have top be GFCI protected? I feel like this is more a matter of obscure codes existing and being enforced.

The peculiar part of this is that we got tagged on it again in another county the same week. Never tagged on it in 17 years and suddenly its an issue in two counties in one week. Sorta makes you think there is a general forum somewhere that many of us in the field aren't privy to.

I don't mean any disrespect to our inspectors because many of them do their jobs well. But it often feels like some are working against us and for what reason? We're not all struggling enough with $3 a gallon fuel and $0.50/ft for 12/2 romex, on top of getting beat down and run through the ringer by blood sucking builders? We do fantastic work and a lot of the time feel like we're getting tagged on rare items because its too hard for an inspector to leave the site passing it off on the first round.

Hey, I'm just thinking out loud. I just want to do a good job and try to pay the bills you know? No disrespect intended to anyone. I just hope that if I'm not alone I'll hear from some compadres.

#98352 06/08/06 03:41 PM
D
This is the concern of everything electrical, and is why there is an EGC; and why wasn't that event prevented by the EGC of the washing machine's cord and circuit opening the fuse/breaker?

Let's take a 100 watt light bulb and place it between the hot and the EGC. I doubt that it will take out the fuse/breaker. Do you want to grab the faucet and washing machine at the same time under these conditions?

#98353 06/08/06 05:28 PM
E
Its code fo rthis appliance but not others, e.g. disposal, dishwasher. And what about the dryer? Usually sitting right next to the washer...that doesn't have top be GFCI protected? I feel like this is more a matter of obscure codes existing and being enforced.

Take a look at the code section that Jim M cited. Any 125-volt, single phase, 15- or 20-amp receptacle within 6' of the laundry sink requires GFCI protection. That would include the washing machine, the dryer, and the convenience outlet if they are within 6' of the sink. Nothing obscure about it.

The peculiar part of this is that we got tagged on it again in another county the same week. Never tagged on it in 17 years and suddenly its an issue in two counties in one week. Sorta makes you think there is a general forum somewhere that many of us in the field aren't privy to.

This requirement is a new requirement. Prior to the 2005 NEC there was no GFCI requirement regarding receptacles near the laundry sink. It's a matter of inspectors and electricians getting up to speed on NEC changes. If you are not privy to NEC changes, I suggest that you make a point to make yourself privy to them.

For what its worth, I agree with others that the $100 reinspection fee is... well.. very high.

#98354 06/08/06 11:54 PM
C

I feel like this is more a matter of obscure codes existing and being enforced.
How is it obscure if it's IN the NEC? It's not like the NEC is telling you to refer to some other code book.
It's right there if front of you in your NEC- at least it should be in front of you.

Sorta makes you think there is a general forum somewhere that many of us in the field aren't privy to.

What year NEC is being enforced in these areas?
What year NEC do you have in your possession?

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard