ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#75492 02/28/07 09:01 PM
N
Is it just me or does this board seem to have shifted a bit in its overall tone.

I know this is an unavoidable trend in all message boards...

It just seems that we have a few heavy volume posters who see fit to quickly cut down all posters with a legitimate question or job related discussion topic...

Just seems to be a fee smart a@# people

Just curious if it is only me who feels this way?

I have examples and much more to say but I will let this open to discussion first

#75493 02/28/07 09:31 PM
E
e57 Offline
I think we are all pretty polite to echother here... Some other forums - not so nice... They often do have a different tone. As many of us also frequent them I think sometimes we might come back in here with bad habits, (I could be guilty of that too.) and not notice it. But for the most part... I made an analogy to someone in a PM about this and another forum... 'It's the difference between "Free Swim" and "Adult Swim" at the public pool.' Both have advantages, depending on what you are comfortable with.

You must also understand that we are from all types of cultural and geographic backrounds. Something said, in one area of the US means one thing, said directly and to the point - not big deal. In the other place you should have beat around the bush for a while and should have been more vague. i.e Diplomatic....

I grew up on the East Coast - where you say what you mean, and mean what you say. But I live on the West Coast, where you need to be more sensitive, or people lable you as 'angry', or 'agressive'. Which one is better, neither!

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#75494 02/28/07 10:09 PM
S
I have been in the field only 3 years total now in my apprenticeship. No where on the internet or at work for that matter have i ever met a more dedicated group of people than on the ecn. I would not have gotten this far without them. Im 48 and this is the most professional website on the web. I have not noticed any change but that may just be me. It could be that there are more people useing the ecn than before and we are meeting different people with different backgrounds. Just a guess but i have not noticed a different tone in the forum. Just my 1 cent worth though.
Steve

#75495 02/28/07 10:47 PM
R
There will always some spirited conversations and if they are not abusive or personal attacks (I know that there can be diferent interpretations what constitutes abusive or personal attacks) there is nothing wrong with them.

If you see or feel there is something that is offensive contact one of the Moderators or the Webmaster, it will be looked at.

Roger

#75496 02/28/07 10:53 PM
T
one of the better run boards on the net is my vote. Yes, there are volume posters here, but even that has its own ebb and flow if you stick around long enough. Overall the quality is good, almost nonexistant personal fighting bickering and personal bashing among members, and a very professional and "on topic" group of admins. I have no complaints about the tone or overall management of the forum.

Are some posters a bit sarcastic at times? Sure. I have read it too, but whatever, sometimes there is humor in the sarcasm too..adds a bit of levity. As forums go, this one ain't so bad, really. Precious few ongoing fights and precious little trolling going on here. Wish I could say the same for the rest of the internet.

#75497 02/28/07 11:12 PM
N
Please don't misinterpret my point.

I agree with all of the posts above

I am not insinuating that any personal attacks or bickering take place...the lack thereof is one of the best features of this site.

I just feel that some folks look to quickly disprove a poster and are in a race to post the related code reference that proves he is wrong...rather than engage in constructive discussion about the topic.

These feelings can also be transferred to offline interactions with electricians I talk to as well.

Any thoughts...

#75498 02/28/07 11:25 PM
I sure wish the Electrical contractors in my Area would get to gether and share Ideas but been doing this for 20 years and not many want to talk.

#75499 02/28/07 11:34 PM
T
I call what I *believe* you are describing "know-it-all-ism". I see that a LOT out in the workaday world. Annoying? Yes. Boring? Yes. Un-educational? Yes. Stifling to constructive & enlightening communication? Yes. But I am not sure how you would change human nature to separate this out from some people's personalities. A quixotic task at best. On another note, wrong is wrong. If a peice of work or trade practice is outside of code, it is outside of code. Period. Does that make it right or wrong in a given situation or set of circumstances? Maybe. Thats the beauty of differing perspectives and opinions, and ultimately, of this forum where we get to exchange them, along with a bit of knowlege and experience to boot..

Maybe some in here do swoop down too quickly and aggressively chiming in on this or that, but remember to take it all with a grain of salt, read you codebook, and keep your eye on the target, which is to maybe learn a thing or two from other people who may have a different outlook than you. Different people have different communication abilities, educational/professional backgrounds, work loads/free time to compose choerent & literate posts in here at a given point in time,and largeness of vocabulary. All these factors and more play into the tone, brevity and content of posts and replies. If you doubt it, pop into chat a few times on a Friday, talk to a few members in "real time" and you may get a better sense of who the real people are behind the screen names. Even some of the smart a$$edness has it's own context.

#75500 03/01/07 01:24 AM
E
Hi, all. I don't post much around here but I enjoy many of the threads. I thought I would respond to this thread only because I am 100% in agreement about the topic. I agree that crappy attitudes, snap replies or simple lack of participation is going on with many support sites that I either moderate, support or simply visit. It's everywhere.

I witnessed a guy cursing out the cashier at a convenience store today because the sales tax calculation was off by two cents for his purchase. He even went as far as to go to his car, return to the cashier and attempt to prove that the register is wrong. The guy ended up being wrong, but he was just so nasty about the whole thing as many other people seem to be these days.

One site seems to include members who enjoy chastising people who ask (no trade mentioned) questions of the professionals. What's the point in offering a support forum if they are just going to sit there and discuss business issues, wholesale pricing and bash end-users looking for support? These guys sit there and chat back and forth in threads about the "moron" who started a thread. I think we know who the true morons are.

Attitudes seem to be rough all over, not just on sites, but even in regular conversation. Everyone is running at full-throttle these days and it's taking it's toll on peoples' personalities. In my case, business has been terribly slow for several months, so my patience is also wearing thin. It seems as if I am not alone.

It used to be that sites like this one included a lot of humor and comradery, but it's waining.......everywhere. Maybe it's due to the gas prices! Maybe when Spring finally gets here, attitudes will change. Let's start getting ready. It was near 60 today, I am ready for it!

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
#75501 03/01/07 08:23 AM
Yes, the 'areas' are sometimes tough. Abusive, loud, downright nasty, 'spaced-out' and more than I feel like typing.

The world, or the areas that most of us are in, are harried, and the pressure is usually always "ON".

On the other hand, HERE, (ECN) is for the most part a calming zone. I come here to read, ask, share, and YES, get help. As to the 'attitudes'.....not in my book.

Mr. Bill, Roger, Bob, MIke, Scott, Don, and the other moderators do an outstanding job keeping this place "CLEAN" and relativley calm.

Heated discussions?? Yes, that's what a forum is about!

A while back, when copper $$ jumped sky high, two guys here passed on a supplier that was still low! That's appreciated, and how some guys 'work together'.

Mr. Bill....I've been here a while, still reading, writing, and enjoying.

John

John
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard