ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hello,
I installed a 50amp dedicated receptacle for an EV charger in a detached garage. I did this by installing a circuit breaker within the home basement in the service panel and running the wire out.
The inspector doesn't like this and wants a 'handle-tie' on all circuit breakers within the basement to kill the power to the garage in one action.

For the future he says for detached buildings the ideal way when installing EV receptacles is the following.
1) Disconnect, terminate, &/or remove the old wiring out to the building.
2) Size correctly and run a new feeder fed into a sub-panel within the detached building.
3) Run branch circuits from dedicated circuit breakers from the sub-panel to all loads within the building (lights, receptacles, & the new EV receptacle).

I was initiallly going by 625.40(pg512) but now I also see 230.70(A)(1)(Pg89) which the inspector is going by, I think. He hasn't actually given me any code references on this. I have given him the code and he's agreed or not.

So what is the code specifically referencing multiple loads within a detached building?
I have the following references.

NEC2017 Code References:
210.11(C)(4)(pg60)
210.52(G)(1)(pg66)
230.70(A)(1)(Pg89)
240.24(pg98)(OCPD accessibility)
225.30(A)(7)(pg81)(EV Plugs)
625.40(pg512)(EV Plugs)

Thanks,
Phil

Where ever you go, there you are.
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Phil:

My opinion, just FYI I am in NJ

IF you were wiring a new detached (or attached) resi garage IMHO you would have to comply with the various Code articles you quoted above.

However, from your description, this is an existing detached resi garage, and all you installed is a feeder/branch circuit for a EV charger device. It sounds like you conformed/complied with the 645 Article requirements. Based on that IF this job was in my jurisdictions I would have no issue with it. Assuming the EV circuit is marked at the source, and the existing circuit(s) are marked at their source.

Please note that the above is my opinion as to the work you described.

Stay safe

John
G
For the future he says for detached buildings the ideal way when installing EV receptacles is the following.
1) Disconnect, terminate, &/or remove the old wiring out to the building.
2) Size correctly and run a new feeder fed into a sub-panel within the detached building.
3) Run branch circuits from dedicated circuit breakers from the sub-panel to all loads within the building (lights, receptacles, & the new EV receptacle).

I agree with that but I do understand they allow a second branch circuit/feeder for a EV charger. 225.30(A)(7) .

How many other circuits or feeders are going out there now?
Are they compliant with 250.32?
I would start by saying if they aren't and you are running another feeder it should all be brought up to 250.32 (4 wire feeder, ground electrode system and separated neutral and ground). That might be done the most easily with a bigger feeder terminating or removing the old one and a sub panel but the NEC is not a design manual. Just make it compliant..
If the only other thing is that single branch circuit in 250.32(A) Exception ... it is not a single branch circuit anymore is it?
250.32(A) Exception does not apply and I did not see the 2017 give you any wiggle room with the EV charger change.

I think the disconnects need to be in the detached building but you can have up to 6, grouped. That didn't change. Homeowners can not be expected to be qualified as in 225.32 exception.

NEC2017 Code References:
210.11(C)(4)(pg60)
Applies to attached garages

210.52(G)(1)(pg66)
Applies to attached garages

230.70(A)(1)(Pg89)
Apples to services, you want 225.32 for a detached building but it says the same thing pretty much.

225.30(A)(7)(pg81)(EV Plugs)
That applies here if all else remains compliant.

625.40(pg512)(EV Plugs)
This does not preclude this being on a feeder that serves a panel supplying multiple branch circuits, only that the charger is on a dedicated branch circuit.

Greg Fretwell
G
There is another wrinkle in this question. In Michigan, when you install a separate circuit for a car charger, it often is granted a special discounted rate that needs to be metered separately thus we are dealing with a separate service and grouping of disconnects.

George Little
George:
I agree with your comments, however I neglected to include that my comments reflect the NJ UCC Rehab Section.

Basically, what is 'existing' cannot be required to conform to the current code, unless it poses a life safety issue.
And, it was compliant when it was installed and inspected and approved.

John
Thanks.

The local inspector is allowing a handle tie on both basement breakers going out to the garage.

In the future, we'll do one feeder into a subpanel.

Yes, I'm a master electrician in Minnesota, master of record for my company. But I've just moved here from 20+ years as a deep-sea marine engineer. So while I know electricity, I don't know NEC code (Art90-not applicable to ships), residential, nor new installations.

Yes, I have alot to learn. And I'm loving it <;

Phil

Where ever you go, there you are.
1 member likes this: David1
D
Did the "Detached Garage" have an existing sub-panel Phil?

When you Stand for The Truth, Sometimes you Stand Alone.

Link Copied to Clipboard