ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 199 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
David1
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by pcsailor
pcsailor
Hello,
I installed a 50amp dedicated receptacle for an EV charger in a detached garage. I did this by installing a circuit breaker within the home basement in the service panel and running the wire out.
The inspector doesn't like this and wants a 'handle-tie' on all circuit breakers within the basement to kill the power to the garage in one action.

For the future he says for detached buildings the ideal way when installing EV receptacles is the following.
1) Disconnect, terminate, &/or remove the old wiring out to the building.
2) Size correctly and run a new feeder fed into a sub-panel within the detached building.
3) Run branch circuits from dedicated circuit breakers from the sub-panel to all loads within the building (lights, receptacles, & the new EV receptacle).

I was initiallly going by 625.40(pg512) but now I also see 230.70(A)(1)(Pg89) which the inspector is going by, I think. He hasn't actually given me any code references on this. I have given him the code and he's agreed or not.

So what is the code specifically referencing multiple loads within a detached building?
I have the following references.

NEC2017 Code References:
210.11(C)(4)(pg60)
210.52(G)(1)(pg66)
230.70(A)(1)(Pg89)
240.24(pg98)(OCPD accessibility)
225.30(A)(7)(pg81)(EV Plugs)
625.40(pg512)(EV Plugs)

Thanks,
Phil
Liked Replies
by pcsailor
pcsailor
Thanks.

The local inspector is allowing a handle tie on both basement breakers going out to the garage.

In the future, we'll do one feeder into a subpanel.

Yes, I'm a master electrician in Minnesota, master of record for my company. But I've just moved here from 20+ years as a deep-sea marine engineer. So while I know electricity, I don't know NEC code (Art90-not applicable to ships), residential, nor new installations.

Yes, I have alot to learn. And I'm loving it <;

Phil
1 member likes this