ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Cat Servant
Special license? Please ....

Sure, let's take a failed approach (licensing, permits, and inspections) and repeat it. Heck, failure might succeed if you try it often enough!

Alarms turned off? Same owners as today? Management - whether at the hotel or for contractors - sure is quick to assert total authority. How about some liability to go with that?

B
Originally Posted by renosteinke
Special license? Please ....

Sure, let's take a failed approach (licensing, permits, and inspections) and repeat it. Heck, failure might succeed if you try it often enough!

This was actually brought up at the last IAEI chapter meeting here in Tucson, AZ. I will find out more but from what I gathered at the last meeting there will be an additional certification required on your license in order to do pool wiring. There will also be an additional certification for solar installations required. It was only breifly mentioned and I don't even know if it was being proposed only on a local level or at the NEC level. Pools and solar are a pretty big thing here.

S
There is a series of checks and balances that failed. All the special licenses wouldn't help here. Why didn't the contractor send a competent crew? Where was the quality control from the contractor? What a permit required for the work? Was it inspected? Why didn't the electrician bone up on Article 680 before turning on the power?

Complacency and greed will always trump any credential

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
G
Maybe the guys doing the road shows selling CEUs should be including a swimming pool module in their suite of courses and make it a punch you need for license renewal, particularly in places where pools are prevalent.

The basic concepts of pool wiring are not really that complicated. Basically you bond everything and you use a GFCI everywhere. The exceptions are few and it doesn't hurt if you do extra bonding or GFCI things that don't require it.

It sounds like these guys worked on a "broken" pool light and disabled the GFCI to get it going. That seems to be the only thing they could have done to draw a criminal charge.
I still have questions like were they licensed? Were their supervisors charged? I am sure Hilton will be sued.

Greg Fretwell

On the company's website:
"We hire licensed Electricians that have been educated through an electrical trade school. "

They didn't have a permit, but needed one according to the Houston Building Dept. I think the guy that made the decision not to get a permit should be charged right along with the 2.

The family sued both the Hilton, and Brown Electric Inc.
Hilton has the deep pockets, but has no more culpability other than hiring the company in the first place, IMO

S
Several Hilton hotels are franchises so the local owner, no cooperate would get sued

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
W
By the way, a child was swimming in the pool and was being shocked by the defective light, the man that died had jumped in and save the child before he drowned, or was electrocuted.

G
I bet they find bonding issues too, if it ever gets that far.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
Code changes? How about ... we stop putting lights in pools?

Reflections at night might keep you from having a clear view of the bottom? How is that any different from every lake, pond, or stream out there?

G
They have a lot safer options than a 120v light. 12v lights are common and they also have a fiber optic light with no electricity in the water at all.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard