ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 269 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
#209335 03/24/13 09:41 AM
M
Meadow Offline OP
Im really curios about this, on another forum the main voltages, grounding and bonding were brought up on how they differe across countries. I found out that the IT system with a Delta secondary was the norm in Norway for residential and commercial as apposed to TT and the widly adopted TN-C-S earthing found through out North America and Europe.

Any body know how this system was applied there?

Does anybody have any pictures of residential breaker panels/consumer units in Norway useing IT grounding?

Thanks!

Last edited by gardner; 03/24/13 09:42 AM.
Meadow #213597 06/08/14 05:13 AM
D
dsk Offline
Hi No good pictures just now, but:
pictures (google) http://tinyurl.com/o967hjw

Pretty like 2 phase from your delta 208V except for grounding at transformer.

Fuse or (later 2 pole breaker) on both live live lines to a single phase outlet.

Local grounding similar to NEC. No bonding to N, (no N existing)

It has been used some different arguments to use this system. Most common: A) 3 phase available with 3 wires only. B) safer, because its harmless until fail on the 2'nd phase.

It is pretty common to have 3-phase here, I even have at my cabin. Good for the water pump :-)

Another difference from North American systems: Copper only up to 16 mm^2. Pretty common wit wires on the wall here: (pictures after e lightning accident)

dsk

PS
Ground connections connected at copper clamps under plastic cower in top of cabinet. (pic)
DS

Attached Images
DSCN0675.JPG
Last edited by dsk; 06/08/14 05:20 AM.
dsk #213598 06/08/14 05:14 AM
D
dsk Offline
picture

Attached Images
DSCN0678.JPG
Last edited by dsk; 06/08/14 05:15 AM.
Meadow #213599 06/08/14 05:16 AM
D
dsk Offline
last pic

Attached Images
DSCN0689.JPG
Meadow #213600 06/08/14 10:28 AM
T
So essentially the local transformer secondaries are delta-wired without any earth (ground) reference?

Isn't the probability of an earth fault somewhere in the distribution awfully high? Unless I'm seriously mistaken an earth fault in any house or apartment would cause that phase to assume earth potential throughout the wiring on this transformer. In this case, the first fault in any other house would cause a dangerous potential difference.

In order to avoid such unpredictable situations most other countries opted for TN or TT

Meadow #213602 06/08/14 02:00 PM
D
dsk Offline
You are absolutely right.

It will not be used in a new area, but are maintained where it is established. The supply to the house whre the pictures are from are changed to TT when the transformer was changed to supply 20 new buildings, they have 400V TN-C-S, so my guess are just tapping off at 230V for the older buildings.

The IT system made it self to TT at first fault :-)
At second fault, it might start a fire in the first fault location. When no fault the voltage was floating relative to ground, usually stabilized at approx 130V due to capacity to ground.

In Norway even TN-C-S systems have all pole circuit breakers, so even an overload in N will release the circuit.
P (ground) and N are not connected in more than one location in each house.

dsk

Meadow #213613 06/10/14 09:24 PM
T
Thanks for the insights! No one has been able to provide me with reliable information about Norwegian distribution systems before, so I appreciate your info very much!

BTW, welcome to the message board!

TT using a corner-grounded delta transformer setup... does feel a bit odd!

D
dsk Offline
Originally Posted by Texas_Ranger
Thanks for the insights! No one has been able to provide me with reliable information about Norwegian distribution systems before, so I appreciate your info very much!

BTW, welcome to the message board!

TT using a corner-grounded delta transformer setup... does feel a bit odd!

Thank you, I just saw your question when googeling for something about payphones. smirk
The self grounding TT description are right. It would probably been better with permanent corner grounding.

I will probably not be regular reader, but just pm me if you have questions about Norwegian oddities crazy

I have just made a controller for my American payphone (AE 120B) for use at home, collecting or returning money depending on answer or not.

dsk

Meadow #213620 06/12/14 03:48 PM
Off the subject matter, but.....

It sounds like the 'missing' pay [hones here went to Norway.

The proliferation of cell phones has made the 'pay phone' an item that is really hard to find here. And, when you do find one, the odds are it does not work!

John
Meadow #213632 06/14/14 08:53 AM
D
dsk Offline
I have the same problem her, but not any more :-)
I have my own. It seemed impossible to get the Norwegian payphone I wanted, so I ended up with the much nicer looking North American one: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11846.15

dsk

PS
You may come her and make your calls, I have pretty good rates on my payphone :-)
DS

Last edited by dsk; 06/14/14 09:06 AM.
dsk #213633 06/14/14 09:12 AM
D
dsk Offline
Picture:

Attached Images
B_.jpg
Meadow #213692 06/27/14 11:31 AM
That looks like a GTE/Verizon payphone.. Very nice smile

Meadow #213695 06/27/14 09:11 PM
Nice payphone. Thanks for the pic!!

Did you modify the coin mechanism to utilize Norwegian coins, or are you using US coins?

Pay phones over here are very few and far inbetween. I have to ask my grandkids if they ever saw one.

John
Meadow #213698 06/28/14 05:14 AM
D
dsk Offline
A small modification; Taped a piece of thick paper to allow slightly ticker coins. Now it accepts NOK 10 and NOK 1.
Ease to adjust back, just remove tape and paper.
Building the coin controller was the most difficult part, Norwegian payphones did work different.

dsk

Meadow #213700 06/28/14 12:29 PM
T
In Austria the major (former monopoly) phone company is still legally required to provide a dense network of payphones for emergency use. Occasionally I still see them being used for regular calls but not all that often. Some have even been upgraded to web access stations. Card phones have become rather uncommon I think, I haven't owned a card myself for more than 10 years.

The cards are still available as far as I know and there's a very odd anomaly. Originally the cards cost 50, 100 and 200 Schillings and contained a corresponding number of credit units. When the Euro was introduced in 2002, the system was never changed, only one unit is now 7.2 cents instead of 1 S. I never knew that until I found a card with a few units left in 2004 and the phone still showed what I considered Schilling credit.

D
dsk Offline
We dont have many payphones left, But I did get my fingers int this, typical of the 90ies here. Pretty ugly, and this one are the most dirty I ever have seen.
dsk

Attached Images
Dirty_.jpg
Meadow #213738 07/05/14 10:10 AM
T
Is that really from the 90s? Dial pay phones were pretty much extinct by the early 90s in Austria. The only ones I've ever seen were semi-private ones at a public indoor pool. I think they survived until the introduction of the Euro. I really liked them because they had a cool vintage look about them. They even had red 7-digit displays for credit.

Meadow #213739 07/05/14 02:29 PM
D
dsk Offline
They were phased out when we got new coins in 1994. Then push button came. We were pretty late with non rotary. The last monopoly telephone was released in 1982, and was our first non rotary.

dsk

dsk #213745 07/06/14 07:50 PM
T
Originally Posted by dsk
They were phased out when we got new coins in 1994. Then push button came. We were pretty late with non rotary. The last monopoly telephone was released in 1982, and was our first non rotary.

dsk

We weren't thst far ahead (first push-button phone introduced in 1980 but still pulse dial) but pay phones were upgraded fairly quickly.

Meadow #213755 07/07/14 05:30 PM
T
In American telephony the term "rotary" refers exclusively to multi-line phones now only seen in period film and TV.

They are marked by having multiple push buttons towards the front which must be selected (pushed down) to complete a connection.

The term "rotary" is linked to the fact that the INTERIOR switching for these phones used "ROTARY WIPERS" as the switching mechanism. (Later some used linear wipers which are vaguely related to the cheapo keyboards used by PCs even now. The critical circuits are printed on thin plastics/ dielectrics and the contact wipes across these thin films to make the connections.)

{ For cyber-security buffs, the Japanese PURPLE code machines were built up around rotary wipers. When the Americans attempted to replicate their scheme they ended up with a PURPLE machine that worked even faster than the Japanese original. }

What you're describing would be termed as "dial telephone" -- leading to terms such as "dial tone."

(This followed an older scheme wherein you didn't dial at all -- you rang the operator (PBX -- public exchange) and told her who you wanted to reach. She then worked her plug board to make the connection. (Yes, she had a dial, herself)

This scheme was made funny and famous by Lilly Tomlin on Laugh-In. With it, Lilly could listen in on every conversation at will -- the ultimate gossip.

The rotary switch constituted a mini version of a PBX -- with some able to handle 64 lines. (IIRC) This type can be seen in "The Apartment" (1961) on the desk of the big bosses's secretary. Like Tomlin, she ends up knowing everything that's going on in the big corporation -- for the exact same reason.

True rotary phones were rented at a premium, (Impossible to buy.) typically at commercial rates for two+ lines. (You'd get a Yellow pages minimal citation to go with your commercial lines, too. Space ads cost a bundle extra.)

If you were a private party and wanted two lines the phone company would merely provide an extra vanilla handset. You would not get the push-buttons, etc.

Rotarys took off because they permitted "call stacking" -- if line one was busy, the system would automatically shift a new caller to line two, and so on.

Not surprisingly, most businesses felt compelled to get at least two lines and a rotary set of phones to match.

By todays standards, those old phone rates were sky high.

Last edited by Tesla; 07/07/14 05:34 PM.

Tesla
Meadow #213757 07/08/14 06:33 AM
D
dsk Offline
Thank you for this explanation. You are right in hence of my reference was to a rotary dial telephone. The rest was all new for me, and yes it differs great from what I believed was right. My mothers thounge are Norwegian so please forgive language problems.

dsk

Meadow #213939 09/10/14 05:51 AM
M
Meadow Offline OP
Thanks for the info! laugh smile From what I gathered thus far, the Norwegian transformers are 230 volts ungrounded wye on the secondary and grounded through a "nullpunktsikring" http://www.el-tjeneste.no/files/Brosjyre-Nullpunktsikring.pdf

Basically its just a surge arrester with a fuse. If a surge occurs such as a primary going into the secondary, the arrestor shorts the transformer neutral to ground by blowing the internal fuse. Under normal conditions it remains isolated from ground. 230 volts is present between phases and no neutral exists for loads like in a 230/400Y network.

Meadow #213940 09/10/14 06:10 AM
M
Meadow Offline OP
Here are some photos you might be interested in:

https://s855.photobucket.com/user/mbrooke22/library/?view=recent&page=1

Meadow #213943 09/10/14 03:18 PM
Gardner:
Interesting photos, although most are out of my expertise.

John
M
Meadow Offline OP
Thanks!

They are off the net, and appear to be from Norway. Neat to say that least, very different than what we find in the US. Cool stuff grin

Last edited by gardner; 09/11/14 01:45 AM.
Meadow #213952 09/12/14 04:55 AM
D
dsk Offline
Definitly a difference.

Norway are following the EU in the way of this.

The main difference are the tradition of systems with
NO NEUTRAL This has implemented fuses in all wires, and when breaker became the rule, they are now sensing, and breaking all wires simultaneously, even neutral where those are. It is more and more focus on covers, and it shall not be possible to touch any wires or terminals without removing a cover (This makes even measuring a little more heavy, and you may often find missing covers to be replaced later by "lazy" workers".

You are not allowed to rewire your own home here, its extremely limited what you may do legally in your own house. It is common to have a main switch or breaker in all cabinets, something I have been missing in US homes.

Another difference may be the extremely long distances from the transformer to the consumer. On the countryside it may be several 1000 meters (~yds). This may cause considerable voltage drops, and instant water heaters are "unofficially banned".

dsk

Meadow #213953 09/12/14 05:25 AM
D
dsk Offline
This is not the common Norwegian standard water heater state of service, but a
scary one:
[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

Last edited by dsk; 09/12/14 05:29 AM.
dsk #213954 09/12/14 05:55 AM
M
Meadow Offline OP
Originally Posted by dsk
Definitly a difference.

Norway are following the EU in the way of this.

The main difference are the tradition of systems with
NO NEUTRAL This has implemented fuses in all wires, and when breaker became the rule, they are now sensing, and breaking all wires simultaneously, even neutral where those are. It is more and more focus on covers, and it shall not be possible to touch any wires or terminals without removing a cover (This makes even measuring a little more heavy, and you may often find missing covers to be replaced later by "lazy" workers".

You are not allowed to rewire your own home here, its extremely limited what you may do legally in your own house. It is common to have a main switch or breaker in all cabinets, something I have been missing in US homes.

Another difference may be the extremely long distances from the transformer to the consumer. On the countryside it may be several 1000 meters (~yds). This may cause considerable voltage drops, and instant water heaters are "unofficially banned".

dsk

Do they have a home supply center in Norway? What happens if someone re-wires their home without permission? I guess Im just really curios.

In America people can go to a 'Home Depot' or 'Lowes' and buy everything they need to rewire a home: electrical panel, wire, boxes, outlets, meter sockets, ect no questions asked. Sometimes in some areas a person should pull a permit and let the town know that is happening, but, being honest that usually doesn't happen. In America the average home owner can re-wire his entire home and not be punished.

In US home you are required to have a main disconnect either outside or the panel right after the meter. But sub panels are not required to have this disconnect. However, a detached structure from the home like a shed or garage must have a main disconnect or less than 6 breakers to turn off all the power to the structure.

How much is the average voltage drop? Does 230 volts drop to 210 volts? Also why the ban on instant water heaters?

One more question: In Norway, do all IT systems not interconnect the grounding systems of different structures? In that only 2 or 3 hots, no ground to a home?

In systems where ground/ earth wires (jord cable) do not interconnect all structures that can be a major fire risk?

(In one home phase "A" may ground to the case of a fridge. Ok, just a TT system now. But if phase "B" grounds in a home two from the same transformer in the electric heater and the grounding system of the 2 homes is not interconnected home one and home two will have ground grids of opposite potential. The 230 volt potential will make power flow across the earth creating voltage gradients and heating up the grounding system drying out the soil)

Meadow #213955 09/12/14 05:58 AM
M
Meadow Offline OP
Here is what I found of the typical system:

Attached Images
1183453-9-1332769451496.jpg
Meadow #213956 09/12/14 05:59 AM
M
Meadow Offline OP
One more:

Attached Images
MGp3enJk.jpg
Meadow #213959 09/13/14 05:39 PM
T
Some of the pictures look fairly familiar to the continental European eye, except for the IT-specific bits.

Do you have any idea why in one picture some of the fuses are yellow instead of white? I've never seen that before!

The large number of RCBOs (GFI breakers) is also unusual, in most parts of Europe they're still ridiculously expensive!

M
Meadow Offline OP
Some of the pictures look fairly familiar to the continental European eye, except for the IT-specific bits.

Do you have any idea why in one picture some of the fuses are yellow instead of white? I've never seen that before!

The large number of RCBOs (GFI breakers) is also unusual, in most parts of Europe they're still ridiculously expensive!

For the fuse color I have no idea. It is strange. Perhaps a main or higher amperage fuse?

My understanding is that in Norway GFCI/RCD breakers are mandatory. From all the Norwegian panels I have seen on the net most if not all the circuit breakers are RCD/GFCI type. Its interesting, because through out the rest of Europe its normal to have a 'main type RCD breaker' where one 63 or 100 ampere RCD breaker feeds about 10 regular breakers thus protecting many circuits. Its cheaper, but one ground fault shuts down more than one circuit.

In My Opinion, I like what Norway has going.

Last edited by gardner; 09/14/14 04:34 AM.
Meadow #213962 09/14/14 07:55 AM
D
dsk Offline
It is no demand, but convinient to have many gfci's.
The color codes were: RED: hig voltage as neon signs etc. Yellow: central heating, oil burning boilers etc. Green: computers or other equipment needing controlled shut down. Not sure if this really was in a code, or just commonly used.
dsk

Last edited by dsk; 09/14/14 07:56 AM.
dsk #213968 09/15/14 06:25 AM
M
Meadow Offline OP
Originally Posted by dsk
It is no demand, but convinient to have many gfci's.
The color codes were: RED: hig voltage as neon signs etc. Yellow: central heating, oil burning boilers etc. Green: computers or other equipment needing controlled shut down. Not sure if this really was in a code, or just commonly used.
dsk

But the circuits must at least be GFCI protected?

Having many is a good idea. Ground fault only turn off one circuit.

Meadow #213969 09/15/14 07:55 AM
D
dsk Offline
Right!

dsk

Meadow #213970 09/15/14 08:45 AM
T
Many countries require the use of at least two RCDs these days. In Germany that seems to have caught on but in Austria not quite, the only home box with more than one RCD I've ever seen was mine. And I only did that because it was a really fancy place. The new kitchen alone got seven circuits for a 3-phase induction hob, electric oven, dishwasher, microwave, combi boiler, lights and sockets. Originally (1960) there were only two, lights and sockets. And that was fancy, usually lights and sockets weren't on separate circuits back then.

In a larger place I'd absolutely do one RCD per floor so no one has to stumble down stairs in the dark. Even that's a bit unusual though.

RCBOs are still painfully expensive. I think a 2-pole RCD is around 30 Euros, an MCB around 10 and an RCBO is 70 Euros. I only bought some recently because they were 60% off. Hardly comparable to the UK where you can get an RCBO for 10 to 20 quid off eBay! Sometimes actually the same brand that costs more than twice as much here...

M
Meadow Offline OP
Many countries require the use of at least two RCDs these days. In Germany that seems to have caught on but in Austria not quite, the only home box with more than one RCD I've ever seen was mine. And I only did that because it was a really fancy place. The new kitchen alone got seven circuits for a 3-phase induction hob, electric oven, dishwasher, microwave, combi boiler, lights and sockets. Originally (1960) there were only two, lights and sockets. And that was fancy, usually lights and sockets weren't on separate circuits back then.

In a larger place I'd absolutely do one RCD per floor so no one has to stumble down stairs in the dark. Even that's a bit unusual though.

RCBOs are still painfully expensive. I think a 2-pole RCD is around 30 Euros, an MCB around 10 and an RCBO is 70 Euros. I only bought some recently because they were 60% off. Hardly comparable to the UK where you can get an RCBO for 10 to 20 quid off eBay! Sometimes actually the same brand that costs more than twice as much here...

What does RCBO and MCB stand for? Im none to familiar. frown

Meadow #213985 09/17/14 08:53 AM
T
RCD _ residual current device, essentially a GFI but usually entirely electro-mechanical rather than electronic. Trip currents range from 10 mA to 3 A for ancient models, currently up to 500 mA I think. For all outlet circuits 30 mA are required in most countries these days, requirements for lighting circuits and fixed appliances vary. Earthing arrangements play a role as well, in a TN-C-S system similar to US practices it is sometimes allowed to have circuits without RCDs, in a TT system (only a local earth rod, no connection to the neutral) RCDs are usually necessary for all circuits as the fault current will not be high enough for a fuse or MCB.

MCB = miniature circuit breaker, plain old breaker in US terms.

Edit: RCBO = combined RCD and MCB, i.e. GFI breaker.

Last edited by Texas_Ranger; 09/17/14 08:54 AM.
Meadow #214031 09/24/14 12:37 PM
G
I have a rotary dial phone in my pool bar and a rotary dial wall phone in the garage
There is not really much special in the pay phone itself. They get installed on a special "ground start" line from the CO. If you install one on a regular line, they work normally.
The "ground start" requires that you momentarily ground one line to get dial tone. When I was a lifeguard they made the mistake of putting the terminal block for the pay phone in the guard room. We had a regular phone hooked up and we shorted it out with our whistle.
This is done by the coin acceptor in the pay phone, usually grounding through the coin itself on the old ones like this one.
The other trick on a pay phone was to "pin" a call. You stuck a pin or needle through the cord or into the mike hole and shorted it to the phone base. That is why the newer cords are armored and they put in a pin proof mouth piece mike. They glued the cap on.

[Linked Image from gfretwell.com]

Greg Fretwell
S
Nice Alaskan license plate...

thumbs

Last edited by sparkyinak; 09/24/14 10:14 PM.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Meadow #214036 09/25/14 03:29 AM
G
Yup I found that on a junked trailer in the woods in Cooper Landing

Greg Fretwell
S
Lol! Just drove through Cooper Landing on Saturday

Last edited by sparkyinak; 09/25/14 04:07 AM.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Meadow #214043 09/25/14 09:51 PM
G
Stop by and say hi to Lovie and Willie.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/alaska/lovie%20and%20willie.jpg

Greg Fretwell
Meadow #214049 09/26/14 04:25 AM
D
dsk Offline
Hi again, I feel guilt for messing up this post about Norwegian power.
Yes I love much of this, and the 3 slot payphone looks great.
Is it another place on ECN forums we could continue that part of this, and come back to the thread starters issue?

If not, a great telephone related forum are found at:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com

dsk

Meadow #214370 11/21/14 08:42 AM
D
dsk Offline
Here are 2 2014 subpanels from a Norwegian school:

Attached Images
2014-11-21 11.28.04b.jpg
Meadow #214371 11/21/14 08:43 AM
D
dsk Offline
pic:

Attached Images
2014-11-21 11.29.22b.jpg
Meadow #214416 12/07/14 06:52 AM
M
Meadow Offline OP
Thanks! laugh Is this IT nett?

Last edited by gardner; 12/07/14 06:53 AM.
dsk #214417 12/07/14 07:04 AM
M
Meadow Offline OP
Feel no guilt. I too like to see old phones smile

Meadow #214418 12/07/14 11:12 AM
D
dsk Offline
I,m not sure if it is TNC-S or TNS.

Everything are new, the transformer and everything after.

(Yes I'm more into old phones, now I have my fully mechanical 1946 exchange hooked up to internet, and the telephone network.)

dsk #214423 12/08/14 08:35 AM
M
Meadow Offline OP
Originally Posted by dsk
I,m not sure if it is TNC-S or TNS.

Everything are new, the transformer and everything after.

(Yes I'm more into old phones, now I have my fully mechanical 1946 exchange hooked up to internet, and the telephone network.)

Does the transformer step 11kv to 400Y/230? Are all the breakers RCD? Or just some? Or RCD main breaker (huvudbrytare)?

I think that is really cool, nice interest! Very good, I have an interest in old things too. Anything with a cord really.

Last edited by Meadow; 12/08/14 08:36 AM.
Meadow #214425 12/08/14 12:48 PM
D
dsk Offline
I can only upload 1 picture for each posting

Attached Images
2014-12-08 15.28.51 (Small).jpg
Last edited by dsk; 12/08/14 12:49 PM.
Meadow #214426 12/08/14 12:50 PM
D
dsk Offline
and max 100k

In to the building 400V 1250A

Attached Images
2014-12-08 15.29.30 (Small).jpg
Last edited by dsk; 12/08/14 12:54 PM.
dsk #214427 12/08/14 12:51 PM
D
dsk Offline

Attached Images
2014-12-08 15.32.52 (Small).jpg
dsk #214428 12/08/14 12:52 PM
D
dsk Offline

Attached Images
2014-12-08 15.32.57 (Small).jpg
Meadow #214431 12/08/14 04:35 PM
M
Meadow Offline OP
Thanks! laugh

A photo bucket, Flickr or Ipernity account can take more than one pic.

Why is Norway using TN-C-S? TN-S far better.

Meadow #214433 12/08/14 06:33 PM
D
dsk Offline
Now I have to do some guessing: Since it is not required by code, they choose the lo cost solution, and save s few meters of cable.

We have historically had low priority of grounding and bonding.

It is a common idea that as far as you cant touch 2 points with considerably different voltages (48V), you are safe.

Meadow #214434 12/08/14 07:20 PM
D
dsk Offline
What may be important in this setup is. (PE protective earth)
The cable from the transformer has a common N and PE (TNC)
From the main panel, the N and the PE are splitted, so the rest of the building are TNS. The PE are bonded to pipes, and other metallic parts of the building where so are. N are never grounded after the main panel. N are deemed to be treated as a live wire, and all circuit breakers are multipole, and senses current in, and breakes N to.
In this building all branches are protected with combined GFCI and breakers. All light switches breaks both live and renewal to bathrooms etc. We still use Schuko and they are unpolarized. The North American AFCI are not used at all here.

dsk #214435 12/08/14 10:19 PM
M
Meadow Offline OP
Originally Posted by dsk
What may be important in this setup is. (PE protective earth)
The cable from the transformer has a common N and PE (TNC)
From the main panel, the N and the PE are splitted, so the rest of the building are TNS. The PE are bonded to pipes, and other metallic parts of the building where so are. N are never grounded after the main panel. N are deemed to be treated as a live wire, and all circuit breakers are multipole, and senses current in, and breakes N to.
In this building all branches are protected with combined GFCI and breakers. All light switches breaks both live and renewal to bathrooms etc. We still use Schuko and they are unpolarized. The North American AFCI are not used at all here.

Great info.

TN-C should be avoided anywhere in the system for a variety of reasons. Yes it is commonly used in Europe and USA, but has downfalls. Some of the current flows through the earth producing elevated magnetic fields and step touch potentials (stray voltage)

An example:

https://s855.photobucket.com/user/mbrooke22/media/jord_zpsfd497037.jpg.html

Last edited by Meadow; 12/08/14 10:20 PM.
Meadow #214443 12/09/14 06:24 AM
D
dsk Offline
This are definitely interesting, and it was detected currents in the ground in Oslo when the subway in Stockholm in 1950 was started. (417 kilometers away and supplied with 750V DC)

Still this are considered as a non existing problem.

I'm a educated as a mechanical engineer, but have dealt pretty much with electro...

When we consider our traditions with IT systems, these problems are not of importance .... ????

I see lots of equal sides to your 277/480V systems, and your 208 delta's

Meadow #214444 12/09/14 01:39 PM
T
I don't think TN-S is systematically used in any country of the world these days since it simply isn't cost-effective. It's either TT (at the cost of high loop impedance) or TN-C (at the cost of stray current issues).

Berlin sort of had TN-S for a while because some areas were supplied with 127/220 V and the PEN was only used as an earth conductor since there were no 127 V loads.

Most places had single-phase meters only and 220 V loads were connected across the two lives. However, only one of the lives was measured, so thrifty people connected one wire of a socket to the central heating pipes or cold water plumbing, thus creating their own neutral, and plugged in stuff set to 127 V. Voila, free power if connected to the right leg of the supply! Illegal and unsafe of course, but there are always some morons, no matter where you go.

Meadow #214445 12/09/14 03:28 PM
D
dsk Offline
Historical it has been used many different systems.
Halden had 40 Hz, Svalbard 25Hz, Rjukan had the 127/220V as you mention.

At home I have 230V 3 phase IT. When no errors in the network I measure 127V to ground. The 3 phase meter meters current in 2 legs.

At our cabin we have 3 phase 230V TT, I Guess this are tapped on the legs of a 400V transformer since the transformer was changed when some in the neighborhood built houses with 400V TN-C-S

The cabin are built on on solid rock, (in/on?? a little island of soil) In a dry summer its not good enough grounding to release the 30 milliamp GFCI when grounding a leg. I feel that's pretty safe. :-)

dsk #214446 12/09/14 05:49 PM
M
Meadow Offline OP
Originally Posted by dsk
This are definitely interesting, and it was detected currents in the ground in Oslo when the subway in Stockholm in 1950 was started. (417 kilometers away and supplied with 750V DC)

Still this are considered as a non existing problem.

I'm a educated as a mechanical engineer, but have dealt pretty much with electro...

When we consider our traditions with IT systems, these problems are not of importance .... ????

I see lots of equal sides to your 277/480V systems, and your 208 delta's

Perhaps not an apparent problem, but IMO a step back. 230 volt IT does not produce stray currents since all load current is carried on insulated conductors, but the system that replaces it with TN-C-S does. Backwards IMO for one of the most advanced countries on Earth.

Personally I would use TN 3x230+PE for home and light commercial networks while using TN-S 400Y/230+N+PE for large commercial/industrial.

Our 208 volt system are not delta rather 120/208Y. Our deltas are 240 volts but rare in new construction. Both our 277/480 and 120/208 is TN-C-S. TN-C is used everywhere by utility companies even in the high voltage side. Never liked it but that is how it is.

M
Meadow Offline OP
I don't think TN-S is systematically used in any country of the world these days since it simply isn't cost-effective. It's either TT (at the cost of high loop impedance) or TN-C (at the cost of stray current issues).

Berlin sort of had TN-S for a while because some areas were supplied with 127/220 V and the PEN was only used as an earth conductor since there were no 127 V loads.

Most places had single-phase meters only and 220 V loads were connected across the two lives. However, only one of the lives was measured, so thrifty people connected one wire of a socket to the central heating pipes or cold water plumbing, thus creating their own neutral, and plugged in stuff set to 127 V. Voila, free power if connected to the right leg of the supply! Illegal and unsafe of course, but there are always some morons, no matter where you go.

If I am correct, doesn't Finland or Sweden use TN-S?

In the states everything under the NEC is TN-S (its mandatory) but when you get to utilities TN-C is used because of capitol economy.

Meadow #214449 12/10/14 07:39 AM
D
dsk Offline
I do not know much about Sweden and Finland, but they have "always" had 230/400V with N

Once in Sweden I had an expensive experience:
We installed same single phase equipment, some PC's etc and suddenly we got a "smoke leakage" The 3 phase supply had a small fuse on the N conductor, so we got nearly 380V at the 230V single phase outlets! Usually they only have fuses/breakers in the live wires in Sweden.

I have no clue about the Swedish or Finnish codes.

Meadow #214450 12/10/14 03:34 PM
T
In the states everything under the NEC is TN-S (its mandatory) but when you get to utilities TN-C is used because of capitol economy.

Well not quite, up to the main panel it's technically TN-C so the whole system is TN-C-S. And until recently range and dryer circuits were entirely TN-C if I'm not mistaken.

I think Sweden historically had a mix of TT and TN-C but generally favoured isolated rooms in homes (in a room without earth potential even touching a live wire can't create a dangerous current flow). Isolated room systems typically use 2-pin outlets and class 0 or class 2 equipment. Class 1 is safe as well as class 1 without earth connection is just class 0.

These days it's nearly impossible to create a room without earth potential with metal air ducts, central heating pipes in case of hot water heat, antenna wire shields, network cable shields etc. etc.

D
dsk Offline
......favoured isolated rooms in homes (in a room without earth potential even touching a live wire can't create a dangerous current flow). Isolated room systems typically use 2-pin outlets and class 0 or class 2 equipment. Class 1 is safe as well as class 1 without earth connection is just class 0.

These days it's nearly impossible to create a room without earth potential with metal air ducts, central heating pipes in case of hot water heat, antenna wire shields, network cable shields etc. etc.

This way of thinking was the rule her in Norway too, even with pretty good grounding trough steel tubes for central heating, grounded coax on the antenna systems etc. The rule was no grounding needed if it was at least 2 m (=yd) from a grounded surface to the outlet.

By experience I may tell touching a single live wire standing on a surface of a PVC floor are at least unpleasant :-)

But even older American buildings has 2 pin outlets.

Meadow #214452 12/10/14 06:20 PM
D
dsk Offline
If we really should go historical, Oslo's first hydroelectric power plant opened 1900. 1.8 MW 46.6Hz 4 wire 2 phase (90deg).
High voltage 5kV to a secondary plant for making 2*110V dc
pictures: http://tinyurl.com/ohobbzt

M
Meadow Offline OP

Well not quite, up to the main panel it's technically TN-C so the whole system is TN-C-S. And until recently range and dryer circuits were entirely TN-C if I'm not mistaken.

[quote]

Correct, but only because that section is fed by pocos which is governed by the NESC. But if the transformer was customer owned the service would fall under separately derived requiring TN-S. Up until 1996 ranges and dryers could ground through the neutral but its no longer done. Other than that (and technically overhead line work/systems over 600volts) TN-C is forbidden.

[quote]I think Sweden historically had a mix of TT and TN-C but generally favoured isolated rooms in homes (in a room without earth potential even touching a live wire can't create a dangerous current flow). Isolated room systems typically use 2-pin outlets and class 0 or class 2 equipment. Class 1 is safe as well as class 1 without earth connection is just class 0.

That is interesting, I never thought about it that way.

dsk #214454 12/11/14 07:06 PM
M
Meadow Offline OP
Originally Posted by dsk
......favoured isolated rooms in homes (in a room without earth potential even touching a live wire can't create a dangerous current flow). Isolated room systems typically use 2-pin outlets and class 0 or class 2 equipment. Class 1 is safe as well as class 1 without earth connection is just class 0.

This way of thinking was the rule her in Norway too, even with pretty good grounding trough steel tubes for central heating, grounded coax on the antenna systems etc. The rule was no grounding needed if it was at least 2 m (=yd) from a grounded surface to the outlet.

By experience I may tell touching a single live wire standing on a surface of a PVC floor are at least unpleasant :-)

But even older American buildings has 2 pin outlets.

Yup, even until the early 60s some buildings did not have grounding outlets. Our ranges and ovens had none grounding outlets until 1996, but simply used the neutral to ground. A bad idea, but that is how it worked.

dsk #214455 12/12/14 09:08 PM
A
I'm confused what voltage do you get from phase to earth and phase to phase. Thanks

Meadow #214456 12/13/14 06:45 AM
D
dsk Offline
Not sure what system you ask about.

We have 2 systems in Norway today:

1)A 230/400 V system equal to UK systems.
2)A 230/230 V system where single phase loads are between 2 legs of the 230V 3 phase system. This may or may not have a grounded center of the Y (IT or TT) no Neutral wire at all.

As far as I know this was banned in the UK from 1948.

Meadow #214457 12/13/14 07:36 AM
G

If the PVC floor is fairly thin, and the sub floor even slightly conductive then capacitive coupling will ensure enough current to feel it. Also any surface film of condensation will make the floor a less than perfect insulator.

Meadow #214458 12/13/14 10:11 AM
T
I can confirm that! Even wearing shoes with rubber soles and standing on a wooden floor a 230 V sgock is rather unpleasant! I got bit by a portable record player on a flea market, that's how I know. Of course the floor may have been a bit damp as this happened in a cellar but still, I had an inch of rubber or so between my feet and the floor!

Speaking of ungrounded outlets, a few months ago I got to tour an untouched 1910s apartment (now a museum) and in the bathroom there was an outlet right next to the sink!

Meadow #214459 12/13/14 01:39 PM
A
Hi dsk with the 230 volt system presumably you get 230 phase to phase and 127 volts to earth/neutral is this right? On another topic I remember that when I'm upstairs standing on carpet which is on wooden boards I can touch live 240 volt terminal and feel nothing but if I accidently touch a wall I get a slight tingle.

Meadow #214461 12/13/14 02:49 PM
D
dsk Offline
You are right usually close to 127V to ground, but i may drop to 0 if its a fault somewhere, or raise to 230. Sometimes it is much higher voltages to, or peeks, but it is a sort of fusing in the transformer center who shorts to ground if to high voltage. (at least more than 230)

I know a student who did the trick mentioned over, because it was a fault somewhere outside his apartment, so he had 230 to ground. He just removed one fuse (the metered leg), and linked the ground to the disconnected wire. That way he could get 10 amps "free".

Regarding feeling the voltage. The caretaker at the old STK (=STC) in Oslo didn't like to climb the ladder so he always tried with his fingers if it was OK before he put in an an lamp. :-) (about 1970)

T
Originally Posted by ANNEMARIE
Hi dsk with the 230 volt system presumably you get 230 phase to phase and 127 volts to earth/neutral is this right?

More or less. Since you don't have a fixed reference to earth (or only a high-impedance connection) in an IT network the actual voltage will vary a bit.

BTW, it's 133 V these days, not 127 (127 is 220 V*sqrt(3) and 133=230*sqrt(3))

Meadow #214486 12/15/14 04:14 PM
A
Thanks yes I knew 127 was for 220 phase to phase but I always struggle with the maths thanks for the info its been most helpful

T
Originally Posted by ANNEMARIE
Thanks yes I knew 127 was for 220 phase to phase but I always struggle with the maths thanks for the info its been most helpful

No problem!
I read about it so often that I've really learned those voltages by heart, that's why I notice such inconsistencies.

I think the big issue with maths is who becomes a teacher. Naturally people who hated maths because they had a hard time understanding it are quite unlikely to study it and become teachers. Unfortunately that means most teachers don't realise what it feels like to be "mathematically challenged" and what those who are need.

I tried studying electrical engineering for two painful semesters... worst time of my life! Few people have ever been as successful making me feel dumb as those maths geniuses! Later I switched to a more basic course (non-academic) and passed with flying colours. I can do maths when I need it and someone explains it to me in a way I understand but otherwise I'm lost.

Meadow #214510 12/17/14 07:55 PM
D
dsk Offline
I did not think about that difference, we still say 380 for 400, 220 for 230 etc here. In this discussion are this just of academic interest. If you tell people it is the phase voltage divided with the square root of 3, most people just say yes OK. (but get no interest)

If you draw a triangle of with sides of 230, put in a Y and measure to the center they may even understand it.

(I have teaught this on a modest level)

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

dsk #214516 12/17/14 11:23 PM
M
Meadow Offline OP
Originally Posted by dsk
Not sure what system you ask about.

We have 2 systems in Norway today:

1)A 230/400 V system equal to UK systems.
2)A 230/230 V system where single phase loads are between 2 legs of the 230V 3 phase system. This may or may not have a grounded center of the Y (IT or TT) no Neutral wire at all.

As far as I know this was banned in the UK from 1948.

IMO 230 volts TN should be used in all domestic and light commercial, its much safer and no broken neutral to worry.

Ive always wondered, why was IT chosen over TN? Surely grounding the neutral would have been better?

Last edited by Meadow; 12/17/14 11:24 PM.
Meadow #214517 12/17/14 11:24 PM
M
Meadow Offline OP
DSK, I think you will like this very interesting:

http://assets.fluke.com/manuals/1654bit_iseng0000.pdf

Meadow #214523 12/18/14 08:44 AM
D
dsk Offline
Great link, thank you.

Why IT? When I asked som 30 years ago, they claimed it to be safer. We should modernize a system from 1940 (IT) and the supplier would change the transformer at the same time, we offered to pay the extra cost to change to 400V TN-S or TN-C-S
but they refused "of safety reasons".

Blessed are the meek,
For they shall inherit the earth. !

dsk #214534 12/19/14 07:32 AM
M
Meadow Offline OP
Originally Posted by dsk
Great link, thank you.

Why IT? When I asked som 30 years ago, they claimed it to be safer. We should modernize a system from 1940 (IT) and the supplier would change the transformer at the same time, we offered to pay the extra cost to change to 400V TN-S or TN-C-S
but they refused "of safety reasons".

Blessed are the meek,
For they shall inherit the earth. !

Welcome laugh

I agree it safer, personally short the nullpunkt sikring ( http://www.el-tjeneste.no/files/Brosjyre-Nullpunktsikring.pdf ) and run a PE from the transformer N to all homes and you have the safest system.

Shame some are taking TN-C-S frown

Meadow #214741 01/18/15 04:53 PM
D
dsk Offline
Some pictures of new vs. old transformer in the Lillehammer area. [Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]

Last edited by dsk; 01/18/15 05:04 PM.
Meadow #214863 02/01/15 05:36 AM
M
Meadow Offline OP
Thank you! laugh laugh laugh

What connection are the transformers?

Are those boxes on the LV fuses?

Meadow #214864 02/01/15 07:52 AM
D
dsk Offline
Right, And a nice lady at eidsivaenergi.no will send us data about the transformers. This looks to turn out well for the forum.

dsk

Meadow #214879 02/02/15 02:51 AM
Originally Posted by Meadow

What connection are the transformers?
Are those boxes on the LV fuses?

Generally, the primary side (HV) will be Delta connected, the Secondary side (LV) will be Star connected.
By the looks of things, the two black boxes on the left pole are triple pole LV fuse-switches, when you open them up, it cuts power to the load side of the fuses.
The HV side is fused by DDO type expulsion fuses seen on that intermediate cross-arm as part of the vertical air-break switch.

Meadow #214891 02/04/15 05:22 PM
M
Meadow Offline OP
Thanks! Id be very interested in the windings and data plate.

If you zoom on this picture: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Three-phase_distribution_transformator_IMG_8086_Hurum_Norway_23kV_240V.JPG

The data plate says Yyn0.

Which would come out as ungrounded wye primary with a wye secondary neutral brought out.

Now that I think about it, if the primary is wound wye, wouldn't it be so it can be solidly grounded? What would the IEC designation be for that?

I see what looks like a forth ground/neutral wire on the MV, so it would make sense then.

A primary grounded wye has the advantage of being resistant to ferroresonance, which Id imagine is more of a concern at 22kv and a long run.

Unless the primary is ungrounded wye? If ungrounded, than why wye and not delta? An ungrounded wye with a shorted secondary nullpunkt and one 230 volt phase faulted would make for some very interesting conditions.

Very interesting.

Last edited by Meadow; 02/04/15 05:28 PM.
Meadow #214911 02/06/15 04:30 PM
D
dsk Offline
It has been extremely silent from eidsivaenergi.no so far.

dsk

Meadow #214912 02/06/15 06:42 PM
M
Meadow Offline OP
Its ok, things take time smile

Meadow #214931 02/13/15 06:04 AM
D
dsk Offline
I got an email today from a civil engineer, so we are not forgotten. :-)

dsk

Meadow #214933 02/13/15 08:02 AM
D
dsk Offline
Pretty quick answer, I will post the answer in Norwegian, and try try to translate in next reply. The information is limited by national safety reasons.

Trafoen fra bilde i masten er nok flyttet inn i den nye stasjonen. Koblingsanleggene i stasjonen er nye.

Trafoen er en 100kVA trafo fra Møre Transformatorfabrikk. Koblingsgruppe YYNN0 22kV/0.240V med manuell trinnreggulering med 2.5%. To trinn opp og to trinn ned. Tomgangstap 325W Belastningstap 1296W,ek=4.09% og er=1.3%. Det er IT nett på området. For helt nye lavspentnett bygger eidsiva TN-C nett fram til kunde. Denne trafoen har kun IT nett. Det brukes av og til treviklingstrafoer men for det meste setter vi to trafoer der det er behov for IT og TN-C. Det er da lettere å tilpasse merkeytelsen til behovet. Nettstasjonen tar da litt mere plass. På forumet ser jeg at noen har kommentert at det er expulsion fuse som er brukt på høyspentsiden. NB: Det er lite brukt og i vi bruker ikke den typen. Fra expulsion fuse kommer det ut varm gass og kan være en potensiell brannfare ved tørt terreng. (En slik sikring var årsaken til en stor skogbrann i Australia (jeg tror det var på begynnelsen av 80-tallet) hvor flere mennesker omkom. Det vanlige er å bruke enten backup fuse som fungerer sammen med en bryter via en slagstift som kommer ut av sikringen eller bruk av en fullrange fuse som ikke blåser ut varm gass.

Meadow #214934 02/13/15 08:15 AM
D
dsk Offline
Translation:
The transformer in the mast are moved inside the new station.
(main reason safety for the workers)

Rating 100 kVA double Y primary 22kV secondary 230V adjustable +/- 2 steps of 2.5 %. No load loss: 325W.
Made by Møre Transformatorfabrikk. http://moretrafo.no/

The transformer supplies an existing IT network, New networks would have been TN-C to customer, (TN-CS from there) If dual voltages are needed they may use an extra set of windings, but prefer 2 transformers to keep the load more controlled. In that case the station will be slightly bigger.

They do not use high voltage expulsion fuse due to risk of fire in dry summers. They usually use a spring loaded fuse and switch, or a full-range fuse of a type not blowing out hot gases.

http://tinyurl.com/yedroyl

Last edited by dsk; 02/13/15 08:24 AM.
Meadow #214935 02/13/15 08:21 AM
D
dsk Offline
I may add:
It may be up to 1000 m between last customer, and the transformer, but at this site it is about 500 m.
(1000m ~1094 yds)

Meadow #214938 02/13/15 08:33 AM
D
dsk Offline
Transformer data (PDF) moretrafo.no/download/?id=439

Last edited by dsk; 02/13/15 08:34 AM.
dsk #214985 02/19/15 02:37 PM
M
Meadow Offline OP
Originally Posted by dsk
Pretty quick answer, I will post the answer in Norwegian, and try try to translate in next reply. The information is limited by national safety reasons.

Trafoen fra bilde i masten er nok flyttet inn i den nye stasjonen. Koblingsanleggene i stasjonen er nye.

Trafoen er en 100kVA trafo fra Møre Transformatorfabrikk. Koblingsgruppe YYNN0 22kV/0.240V med manuell trinnreggulering med 2.5%. To trinn opp og to trinn ned. Tomgangstap 325W Belastningstap 1296W,ek=4.09% og er=1.3%. Det er IT nett på området. For helt nye lavspentnett bygger eidsiva TN-C nett fram til kunde. Denne trafoen har kun IT nett. Det brukes av og til treviklingstrafoer men for det meste setter vi to trafoer der det er behov for IT og TN-C. Det er da lettere å tilpasse merkeytelsen til behovet. Nettstasjonen tar da litt mere plass. På forumet ser jeg at noen har kommentert at det er expulsion fuse som er brukt på høyspentsiden. NB: Det er lite brukt og i vi bruker ikke den typen. Fra expulsion fuse kommer det ut varm gass og kan være en potensiell brannfare ved tørt terreng. (En slik sikring var årsaken til en stor skogbrann i Australia (jeg tror det var på begynnelsen av 80-tallet) hvor flere mennesker omkom. Det vanlige er å bruke enten backup fuse som fungerer sammen med en bryter via en slagstift som kommer ut av sikringen eller bruk av en fullrange fuse som ikke blåser ut varm gass.

National safety reasons? blink

dsk #214986 02/19/15 02:38 PM
M
Meadow Offline OP
Originally Posted by dsk
I may add:
It may be up to 1000 m between last customer, and the transformer, but at this site it is about 500 m.
(1000m ~1094 yds)

Thanks, great info! smile smile laugh

Why is the primary connected in wye? Is it grounded or ungrounded?

Last edited by Meadow; 02/19/15 02:39 PM.
Meadow #214987 02/19/15 02:42 PM
D
dsk Offline
National safety reasons? Something hanging from the time of the cold war.
Not grounded on primary.
dsk

Last edited by dsk; 02/19/15 02:46 PM.
Meadow #214988 02/19/15 03:10 PM
M
Meadow Offline OP
Thanks! smile

Ok, but why not delta?

Meadow #214989 02/19/15 04:45 PM
D
dsk Offline
Looks like it has become a standard, but I have actually no clue. I prefer to work with old phones; max 48V DC + 90V 25HZ
rolleyes

dsk

Last edited by dsk; 02/19/15 04:46 PM. Reason: spelling
dsk #214992 02/20/15 01:51 AM
M
Meadow Offline OP
Originally Posted by dsk
Looks like it has become a standard, but I have actually no clue. I prefer to work with old phones; max 48V DC + 90V 25HZ
rolleyes

dsk

Its ok. I want to say thank you over and over, at this point you have given me mountains of information! laugh

I am still learning all of it! smile

So, considering the transformers, am I correct 3 types of IT supplies existed in Norway?

230 IT

400 IT

690 IT

And 400 and 690 in buildings was stepped down to 230 with building owned transformers?

Here is the USA larger buildings are fed with 277/480Y TN-C-S supply from power provider. 277 for lighting and 480 for motor. 480 is then stepped down to 120/208Y TN-S in the building for electrical sockets.

Meadow #214993 02/20/15 07:12 AM
M
Meadow Offline OP
Just to add, I think a wye primary is a poor choice. If the impact protection shorted to ground, and a phase was also faulted to ground on the LV, this would create a neutral shift in the vector. The other phases would go over 230 volts damaging what ever is connected to them.

Just some friendly advice for Norwegian utilities... I mean no harm smile

Meadow #214994 02/20/15 07:14 AM
D
dsk Offline
690 are not a used standard here, but more a special ting.
230V IT ,TT , TNC-S are used.
400V are usually TNC-S not IT.
Private transformers are usually small for single units using e.g. 400V when 230 are supplied or vica verca. Atotransformers are banned.

Trams/subways runs on 750V DC Train on approx 16-20kV 16-2/3Hz

dsk

Meadow #214996 02/20/15 05:15 PM
M
Meadow Offline OP
Ok sounds good.

I ask because isolators come in 230, 400 and 690:

http://www.el-tjeneste.no/files/Brosjyre-Nullpunktsikring.pdf

http://www.el-tjeneste.no/files/Datablad-NPS.pdf

But I understand, Norway is moving away from IT onto TN-C-S.

Last edited by Meadow; 02/20/15 05:16 PM.
Meadow #214998 02/20/15 08:52 PM
T
400/690 is occasionally used for large industrial motors and generators in Europe I think.

I'd forgotten that Norway used the same railway power system as Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Sweden.

Denmark is DC, right?

Meadow #215002 02/21/15 06:46 AM
D
dsk Offline
That's far out of my knowledge, but these pages tell something:
http://kørestrøm.dk/start.php
http://ing.dk/artikel/derfor-holder...aar-jernbanen-skal-elektrificeres-157565
(The nominal voltage of the Norwegian system are 15kV 16-2/3hz)

dsk

dsk #215008 02/21/15 02:19 PM
M
Meadow Offline OP
Originally Posted by dsk

dsk

Don't sweat it smile You may not have all the knowledge in the world in this area, but so far this thread has become a gold mine of information I never imagined.

DSK, let me say thank you over a hundred plus times! laugh You have contributed so much to this thread and answered all my questions hundreds of times over with detail. I have learned a lot. Great stuff.

I think you are proof that Scandinavian nations are the nicest and happiest place on earth. Now I know why Norway has so little crime, as its impossible to feel left out of anything. Everyone is so helpful.

Thank you for your time! laugh laugh laugh Many thanks from the USA!

Last edited by Meadow; 02/21/15 02:21 PM.
dsk #215010 02/21/15 02:48 PM
T
Originally Posted by dsk

dsk

Yes it does, thanks a lot!

Apparently Denmark is an island between Germany and Sweden using 25 kV/50 Hz, the modern European railway standard.

The early adopters of electrical railways chose either DC or low-frequency AC because such motors can be controlled simply with series resistors. Before the days of solid state inverters controlling the speed of a 50 Hz AC motor was incredibly complex and required chunky machinery on each loco/EMU. The Hungarians went through all that trouble when they electrified their railways in the 1930s because it was still cheaper than dedicated railway power plants or huge rotary converter stations as we still have in Austria (Germany and Switzerland are moving over to solid state inverters). Seems like Denmark chose the Hungarian way.

Edit: low-frequency AC had one huge advantage, it could be transformed on board of the train. Motors at that time couldn't run on more than about 1000-1500 V so DC systems could only go up to 3 kV with series-wired motors but AC systems could easily have 15 kV overhead wire voltage and transform it down to something manageable. The high voltage greatly reduces current and voltage drop, that's why some countries have a mix of power systems, DC on older lines and AC on newer high-speed lines. Apparently the Dutch can't run electric freight trains because of the limits of their 1.5 kV DC overhead supply!

The Czech Republic is split, the North is DC and the South is 50 Hz AC.

Last edited by Texas_Ranger; 02/21/15 02:52 PM.
Meadow #215017 02/22/15 12:00 PM
D
dsk Offline
It's interesting, and I'm learning a lot too. I have designed,(and partly built) units for export to USA, Australia, and other countries. Only the US marked has been a challenge because of their own standards so different from Europe.... or actually not when you learn it to know. Most US 480V machinery will run at 400V 50 hz and visa versa. 20% more power out in the 480V system, but it works, and no smell of burned equipment :-)

dsk

Meadow #215273 04/03/15 11:59 AM
D
dsk Offline
Meadow #215912 08/14/15 09:40 AM
M
Meadow Offline OP
Thank you DSK, awesome pic! smile

Meadow #216048 09/18/15 04:24 AM
D
dsk Offline
They told me, it is safer with the transformers at the ground, than in poles. I'm not so sure!
Picture taken from the bus to my job this morning.

Attached Images
2015-09-18 07.34.20.jpg
Meadow #216054 09/19/15 08:33 PM
M
Meadow Offline OP
Yikes, thats not very good. I agree, pole is better.

Meadow #217289 06/13/16 03:37 PM
D
dsk Offline
Maybe not always.
The lightning has hit and the grounding wire is off! As long as I stay on the ground this should be safe. or ??

I post this, and sends link to the owner of the network, and asks for comments and followups on this page.

As far as I know this supply is 3 phase delta 22kV with no fixed grounding of the transformer winding. I hope we may get some response here. thanks

Attached Images
pole.jpg
Last edited by dsk; 06/13/16 03:44 PM. Reason: adding text
Meadow #217411 07/21/16 11:04 PM
M
Meadow Offline OP
Awesome thanks! smile By chance, would you happen to know how the 22kv system is earthed at the substation?

Last edited by Meadow; 07/21/16 11:05 PM.
Meadow #217416 07/22/16 07:02 PM
D
dsk Offline
Normally not.

Meadow #217417 07/23/16 04:36 AM
D
dsk Offline
By the way, last time I visited USA, I registered high voltage with 3+N and only 3 wires (connected to the transformers to the consumers network), eg in different parts of CA. What will be the difference, and normal voltages? (Reference to other threads or pages? since this not fits this thread?)

dsk

dsk #217440 08/06/16 02:22 AM
N
Originally Posted by dsk
By the way, last time I visited USA, I registered high voltage with 3+N and only 3 wires (connected to the transformers to the consumers network), eg in different parts of CA. What will be the difference, and normal voltages? (Reference to other threads or pages? since this not fits this thread?)

dsk

What are you referring to as "high voltage"?

For voltages in CA, the largest utility is PG&E, & here is a link to the "Greenboook" which lists the voltages they supply.

http://www.pge.com/includes/docs/pd...greenbook/greenbook_manual.pdf#Section_2

Meadow #217444 08/06/16 06:04 AM
D
dsk Offline
Huge document, I will need some time to read all that. :-)

This picture http://tinyurl.com/hs7q4wy shows a pole, sometimes the supply has 3 wires, and service neutral, sometimes only the 3 wires. The transformer primary is connected between N and one supply wire, or 2 of the supply wires. What use to be the primary voltage for these transformers?

dsk

Meadow #217645 09/29/16 09:36 AM
M
Meadow Offline OP
In California 16kv is very common followed by 12kv, the lines are usually 3 wire on the HV and have no neutral. Transformers are connected L-L or delta. There are some 4 wire lines where the HV neutral is insulated, and those are typically 2.4/4.16kvY.

Outside of California 4 wire is common for the HV with the neutral multi grounded (multi grounded mostly forbidden in California). Typical voltages are 7.2/12.47Y, 7.6/13.2Y, 7.9/13.8kvY, 13.2/23kvY, 14.4/25kvY and 19.9/34.5kvY. 2.4/4.16Y and 4.8/8.36kvY often found on older systems which are now obsolete.

Last edited by Meadow; 09/29/16 09:39 AM.
dsk #218544 06/15/17 03:34 PM
D
dsk Offline
Originally Posted by dsk
Maybe not always.
The lightning has hit and the grounding wire is off! As long as I stay on the ground this should be safe. or ??

I post this, and sends link to the owner of the network, and asks for comments and followups on this page.

As far as I know this supply is 3 phase delta 22kV with no fixed grounding of the transformer winding. I hope we may get some response here. thanks

Until now, it is still not repaired.

Meadow #218550 06/19/17 03:24 PM
A
A thank you from a power company yeah good luck with that

Meadow #218551 06/19/17 03:40 PM
D
dsk Offline
I did hope this would be something different, and make them look at it. Obviously not.
How dangerous might this be? Probably worst for the transformer close to. I do not use to stand and lean to those poles in bad weather. :-)

Meadow #218611 07/10/17 05:19 PM
D
dsk Offline
I could not resist to share this picture. It is not by code! When you biuld a house and a neighbor has their drop running over your property, you temporarily fix the wire in a tree, cuts down the pole, and builds the house with the wire going trough! crazy Then you may get it solved when you get the powercompany to connect your house, and hopefully just pay for one visit. smile Ill guess the risk never has been evaluated, but this is a cable with 2 wires, 230V between, and approx 127 V to ground.

dsk

Attached Images
kabling2.jpg
Meadow #218661 07/30/17 08:46 AM
D
dsk Offline
Some more pictures, even worse!

Attached Images
Clipboard01.jpg
Last edited by dsk; 07/30/17 08:47 AM.
dsk #218662 07/30/17 08:48 AM
D
dsk Offline
more

Attached Images
Clipboard02.jpg
Meadow #218663 07/30/17 08:48 AM
D
dsk Offline
more

Attached Images
Clipboard03.jpg
Meadow #218664 07/30/17 08:49 AM
D
dsk Offline
last so far

Attached Images
Clipboard04.jpg
Meadow #218710 08/26/17 01:43 AM
M
Awesome thread, thanks DSK! smile

And yes, have not seen pics like that before.

Meadow #218711 08/26/17 03:13 AM
D
dsk Offline
Never seen that before neighter, found it worth sharing.
dsk

Meadow #219218 03/30/18 08:10 AM
D
dsk Offline
Things takes time, the building process is not finished yet, and the cable are still running trough the house. :-)

dsk

Meadow #219567 08/28/18 02:54 PM
D
dsk Offline
They has had proffesionals there now, and the cables are now propery put in the ground with the right kind of cable, and terminations.

Attached Images
2018-08-18 11.00.33.jpg
Last edited by dsk; 08/28/18 02:58 PM.
Meadow #220040 04/19/19 10:29 AM
D
dsk Offline
I am wondering how they will do it, but someone was telling me that they want to convert the area from 230V TT to 400/230 TNC-S

My guess will be a transformer with both voltages, and dirstibution of of the 400V system to new houses.

Meadow #220043 04/20/19 06:27 PM
T
They could convert the existing buildings too, it'd take new cables and some inside work too. I guess a dual-voltage transformer wouldn't be enough for running both systems in parallel since the old setup requires a floating star point (IT) while the new one needs an earthed one (TN).

Meadow #220050 04/26/19 03:56 AM
D
dsk Offline
The old system is a TT system so it will probably be OK, In the neighborhood they even have a transformer with 2 separate secondary winding's too.

dsk

Meadow #220058 05/02/19 08:01 PM
T
I suppose they could convert the older parts to 133/230 V TT if they're currently 133/230 IT with earthed local PE. That'd be the Belgian system, once common in quite a few European countries. They'd still need a transformer with separate secondaries I guess. If all existing supplies are single phase (i.e. only two out of the three phases are supplied, giving 230 V) they could replace the distribution and reconnect the existing buildings to 230 V line to neutral instead.

Meadow #220062 05/03/19 04:30 AM
D
dsk Offline
It is already 133/230 TT, so I guess that is the way they will do it.

dsk #220764 04/29/20 12:54 PM
W
Originally Posted by dsk
It is already 133/230 TT, so I guess that is the way they will do it.

138/240Y TN-S without the neutral distributed is an ideal system.

If I'm not mistaken 127/220Y is very common in South America.

Meadow #220819 05/27/20 11:43 AM
W
Here is an interesting PDF (yes I know its in Norwegian but can be translated). Stresses importance of RCDs in IT systems due to the lack of interconnected ground systems between buildings:

https://automasjonslab.files.wordpress.com/2018/11/jording.pdf

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard