ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
pulled a permit today for a bath remodel, insp. said to comply with the 2010 Itnl bldg code especially for electrical (which is what I'm doing". Does anyone know which code the IBC references Ie. 2008 nec, 2005? Also this bath has one of those on demand water heaters, if the main service is less than 50 feet away(outside) would locking breaker means suit 422.32 this one has three 40amp 2pole breakers, chris

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

C
Ahj said it needs to be lockable and all ungrounded phases open, anyone know of a
6pole breaker tie for a homeline squareD tie that is lockable, or would the locking cover suffice for 422.32, the lockable ones on the website are just for 2pole breakers.
The canadian install of this product requires a 120amp combiner block, anyone try to get that approved here in california.

Administrator
Originally Posted by crselectric
pulled a permit today for a bath remodel, insp. said to comply with the 2010 Itnl bldg code especially for electrical (which is what I'm doing". Does anyone know which code the IBC references Ie. 2008 nec, 2005?
Chris,

I think he means the 2009 IBC. Unless I'm misstaken it would reference the 2008 NEC.

As to your other question(s) hopefully someone will jump in with an answer.

Bill

If your breaker/disconnect is within sight and not more than 50 feet away it doesn't need it to be lockable, but ALL ungrounded conductors have to disconnect at the same time (approved common tie handle).
If you can't satisfy both of the above then install a disconnect switch by the unit.

NEC 2008
210.4(B) Disconnecting Means. Each multiwire branch circuit shall be provided with a means that will simultaneously disconnect all ungrounded conductors at the point where the branch circuit originates.

422.31(B)
Appliances Rated over 300 Volt-Amperes or 1/8 Horsepower. For permanently connected appliances rated over 300 volt-amperes or 1/8 hp, the branch-circuit switch or circuit breaker shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means where the switch or circuit breaker is within sight from the appliance or is capable of being locked in the open position. The provision for locking or adding a lock to the disconnecting means shall be installed on or at the switch or circuit breaker used as the disconnecting means and shall remain in place with or without the lock installed.

The AHJ may have meant CBC 2010 (California Building Code) it refernces NEC 2008

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Niko:

I believe Chris has a heater that has three (3) double pole feeders. He said the panel is outside, so 'in site' is out of the play. I don't know of any handle tie for 3x2 pole cbs. Also, A six pole disconnect is another animal I have not seen.

An acceptable means may be a lockable panel cover, or a cb lock for the main. A debate with the local AHJ may be a way to work out a solution>

John
Originally Posted by HotLine1
A six pole disconnect is another animal I have not seen.

i don't know what i was thinking.

L
pulled a permit today for a bath remodel, insp. said to comply with the 2010 Itnl bldg code especially for electrical (which is what I'm doing". Does anyone know which code the IBC references Ie. 2008 nec, 2005? Also this bath has one of those on demand water heaters, if the main service is less than 50 feet away(outside) would locking breaker means suit 422.32 this one has three 40amp 2pole breakers, chris

This is foreign to me.
We have State wide codes based on these. I have never been quoted ,affirmative or denial on any other code.

23 years in the building trade I have never heard of any contractor cited or quoted to this.

It seems to be a 'Standard'. But how can it be a 'standard when literally every State,County or town has different rules?

I am an advocate for State wide Licenses and codes.
I can go to any one of our 365 Cities or towns and be in compliance,for rules and licenses, 1 minute away or 3 hours away.

G
anyone know of a 6pole breaker tie for a homeline squareD tie that is lockable

I'd probably slap handle ties on all the breakers, slap a breakerlock on the bottom one and call it a day.

I believe that the listing doesn't entirely jive that way, but I bet the inspector would prefer it.

-George
F
Originally Posted by georgestolz
anyone know of a 6pole breaker tie for a homeline squareD tie that is lockable

I'd probably slap handle ties on all the breakers, slap a breakerlock on the bottom one and call it a day.

I believe that the listing doesn't entirely jive that way, but I bet the inspector would prefer it.

That one way or otherwise a 6 pole disconnect switch will do it { BTW they are not cheap at all AFAIK }

Merci.
Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard