ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
What scares me is what you said about the panel crubling, now that's scary. I am interested in how it was the neutral that fried, you and Randy have got some good points though. I know a master electricain who is an electrical instructor at the community college that I am attending. He would sure be intrerested in this one, when I get a chance I will talk with him anout this, see what he says. I do agree with what Randy said though, a problem there is the only thing I can of that would make sense.

I have a sense of adventure, I just keep it leashed with common sense.
C
Maybe the hot and Neutral were reversed?

Theres always enough room in the junction box.You just need a bigger hammer
S
Though I can't tell the conductor type, I pulled a receptacle that looks very similar to this from my Grandmothers house. The culprit....aluminum wiring on a copper only rated receptacle. I kept the receptacle as a reminder and an object lesson for others. A loose copper conductor can have the same effect when under load.

A
Grounded conductor. Theory verses reality. At the panel the grounded and grounding are equal potential. At the receptacle with no load they are equeal. When a load is applied between the hot and the grounded the grounded conductor becomes hot for half of each cycle.
When the refrigerator would run the grounded conductor would have a different potential from the grounded box. This would allow for an arc, from the grounded to the grounding.
This came up at a training session when an inspector (multi-hat) asked why he sometimes got zapped touching a white, i.e. grounded wire.

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
There is no ground wire... probably why it didn't trip at all

-Joe
“then we'll glue em' then screw em'”
-Tom Silva
TOH
JoeKP #184532 02/12/09 02:29 PM
I would venture an opinion like this.
Neutral connection at receptacle 'loose', and over time arcing from bad connection further deteriorated the condition. Heat transfer thru the recept transferred to the cord cap, causing further deterioration. Start-up cycles of the freezer added to the issue.

As to the cb not tripping...it's only monitoring the current on the 'hot' leg, and IMHO it's very doubtful that a fault to ground occurred in this situation.

John
Originally Posted by HotLine1

As to the cb not tripping...it's only monitoring the current on the 'hot' leg, and IMHO it's very doubtful that a fault to ground occurred in this situation.

I agree, because there is no ground wire in the box

-Joe
“then we'll glue em' then screw em'”
-Tom Silva
TOH
L
Luc Offline
*is scared* Whoa! We have those recepts. at my work. And the place was built 50's or 60's so IDK about the wiring situation

C
the proximity of the wall paneling also covers the edge of the box, also the device screws go thru the paneling then I imagine into the 6-32 holes, yeah didnt look like there was a ground pigtail to box either. was this grounding type recept. grandfathered in as a replacement, due to not widely available non-gr. type?

C
interesting? it looks to me like the recept. might have been rev. polarity. unless the burnt wire is also discolored and not also black. I put up a similar gfci that the cust. said "and the breaker never tripped?" so if polarity was correct and the box wasnt grounded what would open the circuit, or vica versa, as here nothing opened?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard