ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 277 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
First one is at a Speedway gas station. Not sure where the line goes, but the flex has been yanked right out of the pole. Should have used something more robust.

Second is on the side of an apartment building in downtown Louisville. Some random person just decided to, oh, take a screw off a LB.

[Linked Image from stevelutzphoto.smugmug.com]

[Linked Image from stevelutzphoto.smugmug.com]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
That first pic, the sealtite is, er was connected to the pole wit a PVC make adapter and it appears to be only 2 wires. wheres the ground?...and no, it is not under the pole. :P

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
L
That first pic, the sealtite is, er was connected to the pole wit a PVC make adapter and it appears to be only 2 wires.

Are those low voltage cables or line votage wires? They may have come up into the pole base and then went to another location.

Larry C

Let's look at 410.30....
One of the disregarded items when it comes to repairing of underground lighting circuits....

"(2) Where raceway risers or cable is not installed within the pole, a threaded fitting or nipple shall be brazed, welded, or attached to the pole opposite the handhole for the supply connection. "

The KO hole in the handhole may have been a previous patch job.

I usually trip over this situation while passing thru the lots to do another inspection; naturally...noone has a clue who did it, when, or why.

The landlord/owner has corrections made after a violation is issued.

John
B
I didn't have a pen tester with me to check if the lines were hot, but I assume they were. The one on the light pole was somewhat unusual. It looks almost like lamp cord, but surely it isn't. I didn't get close enough to get a good look. If I'd had a screw driver and screw with me, I would have put the cover plate back on the LB. I'll stick a screw driver and screw in my pocket the next time I'm headed over that way. I'll call in the broken sealtight to Metro Property Maintenance.

Last edited by Bigplanz; 08/17/09 05:51 PM.
Perhaps the cable in the first picture is a Low Voltage cable, for a camera or speaker mounted somewhere up on the pole??

I think that PVC terminal adapter is not listed for the purpose. Matter of fact, I'm surprised that the flex didn't just pull out of the glued fitting before the TA snapped at the pole.
A proper sealtight fitting should be used.

N
That conduit body in the second pic appears to have been modified. Looks like an LB, that has had an extra port drilled into the side. Kinda of a cross between an LB and a T...

E
I thought the same thing. I'll bet that the missing screw was rusted and probably broke off when they were opening the cover. They probably kept it closed with a white cable tie that eventually failed due to sun rot. I see that stuff around gas stations all the time, especially when electrical connections were made for pay phones, vending machines, air pumps, etc. by unqualified people.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
C
dont tell me youve never drilled your own hole in the side of a pull body, as long as u use gaskets on the locknut wheres the problem, listing?

Cat Servant
Well, CRS, are the small matters of cable fill, bending radius, and -arguably- suitability for use.

Oddly enough, in such situations I have almost always been able to replace the conduit body with a proper box - with surprisingly little effort. If the job is a real nightmare, just use two boxes and another splice.

As far as that light pole goes, I have drilled and tapped 1/2NPT threads in several similar situations. I was not aware of the braze/weld requirement. I must stress, though, that you either need that metal to be really thick, or put lock nuts on both sides of the hole. I don't like doing this, simply because the pipe is generally then subject to damage.

I could go on for pages as to how I think poles should be wired ... and I have many pictures of various attempts to bring power to poles. I can't think of a better situation to illustrate the difference between 'good trade practice' and 'code minimum.' All I'll say at this point is that 'code minimum' installations are generally unable to be maintained or repaired.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard