ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
I recently installed THIS LED trim in a clothes closet. I was amazed at the color rendering of the LED light. It was much warmer than a flourescent bulb.

CREE is one of the leading manufactures of LED products.

Chris

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

T
As long as it's installed properly, it can be safe. But i recommend to have a real electrician for installation.
closets

Tibuan:
Welcome to ECN & the forums....another west coast guy!

John
F
Originally Posted by raider1
I recently installed THIS LED trim in a clothes closet. I was amazed at the color rendering of the LED light. It was much warmer than a flourescent bulb.

CREE is one of the leading manufactures of LED products.

Chris

Do you have any idea what the ballpark for the cost of that LED recessed can luminaire do run for ?

Merci,Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

A
I have had several LED type night lights for our bathroom, I'm very disappointed, the diodes heated up and got hot enough to melt the plastic lens of the LED "bulb". After that they seemed to wear out and the light emitted was very dim (even for a night light). I had two of them and both suffered the same fate. I remain open to trying again but something has to be different next time.

G
I think that is the problem any time you try to drive a LED too hard. If they would back off the power a little these things should last forever. Just add a few more LEDs with a little less current in each of them.
Sort of a "pay me now or pay me later" situation.
LEDs are one thing that should keep getting cheaper as they go. The whole "blue LED" (the way they get white) concept is really not that old. Red and green LEDs (a much older technology) are dirt cheap.

Greg Fretwell
I fitted a couple of 1.2W LEDS in GU10 recessed spots in a short landing, as a safety feature for the grandchildren going to the bathroom at night, when they are just left on. I wasnt expecting a great deal of light, just a navigation aid, but it's pretty meagre nontheless and not a pleasant shade of white. And surprisingly, given the low wattage, they do get quite hot.

Now, although only of miniscule rated wattage when working properly- are they not a worse fire hazard than an incandescent bulb in certain aspects?

With the latter, the law and regulations and good old-fashioned common sense [about putting inflamable materials near a bulb and its initial location etc.] protects one to an extent. They fail safe when they blow either filament or support wires. A LED or a CFL however is a complex electronic device, built largely of plastic. Is it feasible for such a device to fail in such a way to produce enough heat, far more than the rated wattage and to start a fire?

Wood work but can't!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard