ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
I think that was a commercial for AAMCO Transmissions, where the yokel mechanic comes up and says "Let me do it. I ain't never worked on one of them Japanese trans-misshy-ons before".

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
EV607797 #186787 05/27/09 06:52 PM
T
DIY Network has a delightful show "Renovation Realities" that plays most Sundays.

It's worth committing to TIVO.

Plenty of laughs every time.

The typical episode features brazen DIY white collar professionals goofing all over their project.

It's video documentation of how arrogant these folks are: they assume that the trades are a snap and that every craft is a simple as boiling water.

At the end the refrain is always the same: this is the last time we're ever going to play at construction!

As for Alex Napier: perhaps he's got too much time on his hands -- I know I do! Plainly he holds himself in high regard. ( a common fault of electricians everywhere ) Thankfully he is only confusing the public.

By his posting I'd not want him training ANY apprentice.

As for having an encyclopedic knowledge of our craft -- I don't think anyone can say they have it. It's too large a body of knowledge.

BTW, if the GFCI is feeding a hot tub you really will need that grounding conductor. Hot tubs build a very significant capacitive coupling within the water which must be bled off to the ground rod/Ufer. I've measured over 50 Volts to ground!

Tesla
Tesla #186792 05/27/09 11:24 PM
G
BTW, if the GFCI is feeding a hot tub you really will need that grounding conductor. Hot tubs build a very significant capacitive coupling within the water which must be bled off to the ground rod/Ufer. I've measured over 50 Volts to ground!

I am not sure how you legally avoid it. There are references to "minimum 12ga insulated copper" EGCs all over 680.

I would like to see the bonding of plastic package spa's strengthened if we can't enforce a 3' minimum insulated deck around all of them. There is a conversation going as we speak over on usenet about a guy with a ground shift between his concrete patio and the Hot Springs plug in spa.
Not enough to trip the GFCI, just enough to tingle. Scary!

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #186793 05/27/09 11:39 PM
DYI = Do Yourself In?

Tesla #186799 05/28/09 10:30 AM
G
Originally Posted by Tesla
DIY Network has a delightful show "Renovation Realities" that plays most Sundays.

It's worth committing to TIVO.

Plenty of laughs every time.

The typical episode features brazen DIY white collar professionals goofing all over their project.

It's video documentation of how arrogant these folks are: they assume that the trades are a snap and that every craft is a simple as boiling water.

I just LOVE that show. Especially when the one guy can't find the gas shutoff and decided to take the sawzall to the gas line hoping that it doesn't spark.
Or the guy that went to take down a soffit and found that it was covering an I-beam (which he also took out because it was in the way).

I'd really like to know how they get folks to sign up to be on this show.
"If you have no blinking idea what you're doing...and not a single clue about anything...let us film your project so that you can humiliate yourself on national TV".

Last edited by Trumpy; 05/29/09 05:14 AM. Reason: Missing quote tag

Ghost307
Z
Funny thing, I also saw an old CSI that made this same misinformed assumption and presented it as fact.

Somebody rigs a construction site by disconnecting the ground to a GFCI, then puts a nail in a guys boot to create a path to ground. They then rig a hammer drill to energize the housing. The guy starts up the drill, gets hit, then falls several stories off of an open floor of the building.

The whole basis, which they state as fact, is that GFCI's do not work without a ground.

I think this guy may watch a little too much TV.

Zapped #186803 05/28/09 06:22 PM
Ah, the talented gentleman amateur, always good for a larf!
I've posted these before, but what the heck! laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0x8kml-afs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EZH1GZUtx8

Alan

Wood work but can't!
Tesla #186809 05/29/09 05:21 AM
Originally Posted by Tesla

Capacitive coupling in the water?
How does that work?

Trumpy #186811 05/29/09 09:05 AM
Sounds a bit risqué, Mike. Best not to ask! blush

Wood work but can't!
Alan Belson #186814 05/29/09 11:45 AM
Cat Servant
I believe Tesla is asserting that the movement of the water, the 'rubbing,' as it were, of the water against the piping as wall as itself, somehow leads to the creation of voltage within the water.

It's not an unknown concept; something similar happens every time you pump gas. Yet, I've never heard of it being accomplished with simple water. I can only assume the water Tesla used was way too pure, had way too much oil in it - or his meter found a ghost.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard