ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
F
Originally Posted by luckyshadow
Think about the depression in the 1930's people paniced and created a run on the banks.

If my memory serve me right there were two more depression era sometime in 1800's so we kinda expect that to be cycling.

sorry to get off topic here.

Merci,Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
gfretwell #184276 02/06/09 01:37 AM
S
Originally Posted by gfretwell
This is when your networking skills pay off. Get together with the other trades you know (plumber, drywall, carpenter etc) and try to offer a simple solution for complex problems. Most people outside of the building business don't have a clue where to start when they have a problem that involves more than one trade.

I agree. The economy was so good the work just flowed in. At some point you have to go and drum up work and not wait around for calls. Bid all the work you can, do cold calls, try new fields. I'm pricing a deck for my neighbor. All I can do is all I can do. But am I doing all I can do to get work?

bauler #184291 02/06/09 01:02 PM
Z
If you have a chance to talk to anyone that actually weathered the great depression, you will find that they look back on it with a certain nostalgia. They will almost always say that what got them through it was to keep looking into a better future.

A positive attitude and hard work will make the worst of times a lot more tollerable, and looking towards a better tomorrow is essential in coming out of hard times on top.

Good Luck and hang in there!

Zapped #184292 02/06/09 01:32 PM
Cat Servant
Recent experiences have reminded me ... this is no time to sit back and feel sorry for yourself.

I stopped by one long-time customer, whose plant is "outside of town." Since he's off the beaten path, I had not been there for a while; but I had another call nearby, so why not say 'hi?' I left with two small jobs.

I also dropped in on a pool equipment firm I had once crossed paths with on a job. "We have a guy we use" was quickly followed by "Can you do commercial work?" Turns out 'their guy' is a handy sort on their payroll ... but on commercial jobs, they need a licensed EC to keep the city happy. There just might be something develop from that.

G
#1 tip
Be the "reliable guy".
Return all your calls as quickly as possible and keep your commitments. Be on time and ready to do the job.
That will go a long way towards getting referrals.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #184350 02/08/09 12:47 AM
U
Having a job as a part-time engineer has given me the freedom to screen some would-be customers a whole lot better. I'm talking about the people that want free estimates and think a new receptacle or hanging a ceiling fan are $30 jobs.

I have more work lined up now than I did working on my own full-time.

This part-time venture has also exposed me to contacts I would never have met otherwise. These contacts are people that want reputable service and understand the value of hiring a qualified professional.

IMHO, a consistent 22 hours/week is fine if they are for the right customers. wink

u2slow #184918 02/25/09 07:12 PM
T
Somewhere up this thread I mentioned credit card contraction.

Now it's official with American Express: they want thousands of their clients to close out their accounts pronto. If this is done, the lucky ex-debtor will receive a $300 spiff.

Their reasoning is very straight forward: credit card defaults are exploding upward -- it's time to shut down Amex's exposure.

This is also going on within every bank in the nation. All credit cards are being reviewed. Obviously, any client whose income flows from construction or real estate, generally is very high on the list.

If you have your loans at the same institution that holds your checking account be very afraid. My own uncle had the misfortune of discovering just how quickly you can go from being a 'great account' to 'collections' when business conditions changed. In his case, Boeing lost the TFX contract and overnight the real estate market imploded. With the stroke of a pen, his bank grabbed all of his deposits to kill off his loans. No notice was given. All he got was overdraft fee notices.

With the banks still on their backs and the shadow banking system destroyed...

Construction in the following states has been nuked: Arizona, California, Nevada, Florida, Michigan.

If you are outside the blast radius you may survive.

However, do not get caught up in 'magical thinking'.

Don't overrate your ability to out ski the avalanche.

When Paul Volcker and George Soros both agree that we're in for some serious...

Then beware.

I say again: energy savings is where you ought to focus. Lighting, Lighting Controls, VFD...

You want to be a primary contractor: the GC's are going to fail to pay so often that they'll take you under.

Tesla
Tesla #184920 02/25/09 08:30 PM
I been riding out this storm for 13 months now credit card balances are less than a 1000.00 my line of credit is still there i make the min payment and its building again all this with less work fewer hours put in etc.
but when i use my amex card or MC i dont try to hold a balance they get paid before i buy food.
Mind you I drive an old van never bought new furniture, i dont have any toys like a boat or a snowmobile to make payments on.

Maybe being poorer than most has made me not so dependent on credit. An old hotelier once told me if you borrow money you have to pay it back . I have never forgotten that and he told me that 15 years ago.

dougwells #184923 02/25/09 09:04 PM
Cat Servant
I have to agree with Doug ....

Forget wasting your energies watching Washington, or doing someone else's worrying for them. It's time to focus on YOU - and your BUSINESS.

I really don't care what someone says on TV - I don't even own one. I do care about finding the next job, etc.

Personal credit, and business credit, ought to be two entirely separate topics. It's one thing to use it to buy the latest toy; quite another to use it to get the parts for the job you'll collect on next week. Or, to borrow so you can get the tool that will let you get that future work!

There ARE customers out there, and there IS work to be done. All "hard times" does is separate out the weaker businesses .... so your focus needs to be on making your business stronger, rather than worrying about things beyond your control.

Gentlemen:

WELL SAID!

Perhaps the doom & gloom that we are subjected to 24/7 by the 'talking heads' could be replaced by some 'good news'!

I find it hard to believe that there is nothing GOOD for any of the media to talk about; perhaps that is a part of the problem?

I hear 'crude oil' prices at least 2-3 times during my 1 hr drive to and from work. UP/down etc. Why??

The stock market (Dow) opens at 9:30AM, reports are on the air at 9:30 & 30 seconds. Why??

Is there nothing 'good' happening? A puppy born? A child that got an 'A'; a good deed that was done? Anything??

BTW: Work climate here is about the same as I posted up in this thread. There's work!

Think positive! Take care of yourself & your livelyhood!

John
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard