ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Prior to 1993 NEC all the interior metal water piping was considered part of the GEC system. The NEC 1993 allowed only within five feet of entry to the building as the point of ground because of all the non metallic piping.
Many pre-'93 homes that were upgraded will have three wire receptacles on two wire circuits with the ground going to the closest water pipe. This was especially common for the GFI outlet in the bathroom (required in 1978) until the exception to 210.7(D) in the 1984 NEC allowed a GFI without a ground.
The information that a surge protector will not work without a ground is absolutely correct. Without a ground it has no place for the surge to go. Also a non-ground GFI will offer no protection to the computer even when used with a surge protector.

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Along these same lines, I wrote a violation to a contractor who sold the home owner on the IG receptacle and then wired it with 12/2w/ground NM cable and used a non-metallic box. "What's wrong with that?" he said.

George Little
T
Tripp Offline OP
Alan - I didn't think even a grounded GFCI was there to protect equipment. I've always thought of GCFIs as personnel protection.

Cat Servant
Tripp, you're technically correct. However, since GFCI's have that electronic component, they manage to provide some surge protection ... by letting their smoke out!

G
Actually I imagine the trip through the little toroid transformer might filter out some small transients. I know an engineer who said a simple overhand knot in the cord would filter out some very high frequency noise. I don't know how true it is but I am never in a hurry to untie a knot that develops in the cord of my electronics.

Greg Fretwell
T
Tripp Offline OP
GEORGE: "...an IG receptacle...wired...with 12/2w/ground NM and used a nonmetallic box."

Well, what IS wrong with that? As long as that EGC goes directly back to the service. (I love these opportunities to expose my ignorance.)

-Tripp

T
Tripp Offline OP
GREG - Now you're just hurting my head!

- Tripp

L
12/2 w grd is not isolated.

Now Isolated ground may require a new thread.

(Wink,Wink,Nudge)

But first, Break out the code book, You'll need it to follow along.

L
Originally Posted by George Little
Along these same lines, I wrote a violation to a contractor who sold the home owner on the IG receptacle and then wired it with 12/2w/ground NM cable and used a non-metallic box. "What's wrong with that?" he said.

The Violation was..........?

Cat Servant
Sounds like someone is worried that a metal faceplate might be used.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard