ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Just to clarify... I'm not suggesting at all that any DIYer should be encouraged to install, for example, a MCC or central air or for that matter replace a furnace (electric or otherwise). But where do you draw the line when you talk about "electrical equipment" that the consumer shouldn't be allowed to buy? Does it include wire, switches, receptacles, light fixtures, breakers? All those things if improperly installed can create hazards and lead to fires, etc.

But how many of us have replaced hot water tanks or leaky faucets or added a shower in the basement or made a rec room in the basement? All areas of concern that could create hazards. What about welding machines? How many of us own them too? And having a license is no guarantee that safety will be assured. Just have a look at our highways.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not advocating anarchy. But if Home Depot (and others) hold handyman sessions, or whatever they call them, then the least we should do is ensure that the leaders of these sessions are qualified to teach the subject matter and that the attendees know the risks involved in what they are doing. Not just the physical ones but, for example, property insurance risks. And also that their work must be inspected.

And by the way, trying to solder copper pipe close to a stud wall can certainly cause a fire. And one more thing, I don't recommend trying this, but if you take a can of hair spray, push down on the valve and hold a lighted match to the spray, you could probably weld schedule 40 pipe. Never tried it, but saw it in a safety demonstration "way back in the old days".

Have a good day, grin

Andy

It's always easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission.
N
To bring this back to the original post

My understanding from school (many years ago)...

309 could work in any environment in a contracting role.
442 were supposed to be trained and limited to the specifics of the area that they were trained in...as an example, a 442 trained in automotive could move from plant to plant that was related to automotive, they could not move to say…food processing. A steel mill guy could not move to building maintenance and no one could move into construction.

309s had more freedom to move around and could be hired by both "Industrial Employers" and ECs. The endorsements when I went to school allowed you even more mobility, so as a 309D I could work in just about any situation possible. There was no doubt that "back in the day" there was a definite difference in the training that the 442s and the 309s took. I am not sure that is the case today however. Prior, during my training 442 were not trained in services, residential wiring methods, demand calculations etc. They spent their (shorter) in school portion focusing on motor control, motor calculations, troubleshooting, etc. I don't even recall if they even did blueprint reading or not, but I don't think so.

I think that the market is so depressed for tradesmen, likely most places are happy to get a person that knows how to hold a driver…

Now to hijack the thread, I can see both side of the permit issue…I for one am totally in agreement of the permit and inspection process. I thin it is critical. What I don't agree with is now that I am not an EC I cannot work, even for my family and obtain the necessary permits aboveboard. Sure there is the whole homeowner permit process…yeh whatever, the important part is that the work is inspected and passed, and done by qualified people.

If they really want electrical work to be completed by qualified people, then as mentioned previously, they would legislate the sale of electrical equipment to certified trades only.

One of the previous posters mentioned that they are getting $2 million in PL-PD for $750 a year. Would you mind posting who you are dealing with or send me a PM on that. The last price I was quoted was $5000 per year. For $750 per year, I take that up.

Cheers

S
Im new here but i just have one comment about that.
How many people have died from a leaky faucet or a plugged toilet.Electricity is dangerous and if you dont know what your doing it could be deadly!!

frank #199932 03/14/11 07:19 PM
Necessity is the mother of invention...

I would say that Economy is driving the prices , and we can't just make regulations. Unfortunatly people are poor and when you are poor you don't think about tomorow, you think about today. Safety organizations and other trades have to promote and advertize safety and regulations ( not to scare people, instead to educate them) . We need more shows of this nature.

Question: Do you think that teaching people, business people, low skill people, doctors, lawyers and who know who else know something about standards?

Answer is NO. The true is (let's take our trade as an example) they think electricity is pulling wire and connecting white to white and black to black. I can already talk for more than 45 min about code for pulling only one wire from pannel to the last receptacle. It is education what we need. Educate our clients so they can know to recognize good work from bad.
That is why DIY channels are so popular. Think about this it can work in our favour. Maybe there is a good bussinnes idea for someone.

Anyway does anyone play chess here. Electricity and chess go great together

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there”.
N
back to the OP, the 309A, 309C, 442A & the Master Electrician

In 1992 I wrote & passed the 442A. The exam dealt with code, safety, wiring, the right hardware & connections for the right situations, industrial type electrical & electronics questions. Shortly after passing this exam I gained employment as a plant electrican (loose term). In my job I wired that darn plant from the incoming power, through the panel, to the equipment etc.

I maintained the plant electrics, as well as all the machinery & controls. I did this for 16 years - no trouble or hassle.

I am now retired & want to take the 309C - but thats not possible - so I'm told without jumping through loops

I can, says the ministry with my 442A as does the ECA website which says the same thing, to write & hopefully pass the Master Electrician Exam & paying the fees + covered earlier in this thread.

It all doesn't make sense too me.

I would as retiree like to write the 309C which would allow me to [legally] to do domestic, low rise & house electrician work.

Do I need the 309A - no way do I, since I have no intention of climbing & breaking my back or crawing through tight spaces doing hard graft.

So, does anyone know if the holder of the 442A can [with the acquired up to date knowledge & review] just write the 309C without going back to school or having to get proven construction & maintenance work experience?

I always imagined the 442A was a tougher exam than the 309A - but thats me talking

Appreciate any help on this

frank #208383 01/14/13 08:35 PM
N
I live in michigan right now, my wife and I are thinking of moving to Canada for her job.im a journeyman in michigan. I was wondering if anybody knows if the schooling here and the hours would transfer to Canada? Or if I would joust have to take a test or if my license would transfer?

frank #208401 01/16/13 06:21 PM
something came out recently
http://www.cicsnews.com/?p=2780

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard