ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by HotLine1 - 04/23/24 02:17 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 231 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Following Frank, or even farmers need a license to purchase fertilizer. What it comes down to, in Ontario anyway, is that electricity hasn't killed enough people! Unfortuneatly our governments and related organizations tend to be reactive as opposed to proactive. I can see the day, but not in the near future... Another issue that needs more attention is our electrician to apprenticeship ratio. 3 to 1 (elec.:appr.) Anyone who knows some math knows that this ratio doesn't work to get more people in the trade, perhaps this is worth a new topic/post. I known in BC their ratio is one to one.

Originally Posted by ThorahSparky
I known in BC their ratio is one to one.

FYI it is a ratio of up to two to one

http://www.safetyauthority.ca/bcsa_...rvision_Req_Under_Elec_Instl_Permits.pdf

T
Oopps, my bad.

A
mr_electrician said "I can't wait for the day that electrical materials will only be available to lisenced electricians. I am sure this issue is one that both contractors and electricians will agree on!!! I think that our market system is a little messed up when any DYI can go and buy any type of electrical equipment regardless of scope of work he will be performing and on the other end the general public needs a licence to buy hair dressing supplies such as hairspray and shampoo."

OK, not sure about the hairspray, but what happens when the plumbers and pipefitters say the same thing about sinks and copper piping, and p-traps and pvc and solder, and carpenters say the same thing about 2X4's and plywood and, yes, nails. C'mon, I understand your frustration, but there REALLY ARE some things a DIYer can do. Let's not get all bent out of shape. This is not magic; it's mostly no more than plain common sense. Guess I'm just not that politically correct.

Andy

I'm new at this forum so not sure how to make this stand out.

It's always easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission.
H
I know now that when it comes to buying things you cannot go out and buy an oil tank for your house nor an oil furnace and have them installed by a licensed person only a person with an oilburner license can buy oil related products including repair parts also now you cannot buy central air conditioning without being licensed to install

F
frank Offline OP
T

A
homerjones wrote: "also now you cannot buy central air conditioning without being licensed to install"

I guess I just question the wisdom of it all and what problems we solve by all the rules and also what problems we create. My home has central air (an old unit). About two years ago it quit. The local air conditioning guy wanted to do a whole bunch of stuff to fix it. Said he had to install an additional disconnect (new regs he said), replace the refrigerant (more new regs he said), estimated cost over $400, couldn't get at it for a week or so. All it needed was a new capacitor that cost less than ten dollars. So I fixed it myself. Works fine.

If the A/C end of it had been a problem, I would have had to get the unit replaced by someone licensed to deal with that. That's all I'm saying.

Cheers,

Andy

Originally Posted by andyenglish

Andy, when you reply, instead of clicking on reply, click on quote. You can remove unnecessary repetition if you want. Just don't mess with the info in brackets that open and close the quote. Try it! smile

A
Thanks for the tip Helper.. Didn't know how to do that.

Cheers,

Andy

M
Originally Posted by andyenglish
mr_electrician said "I can't wait for the day that electrical materials will only be available to lisenced electricians. I am sure this issue is one that both contractors and electricians will agree on!!! I think that our market system is a little messed up when any DYI can go and buy any type of electrical equipment regardless of scope of work he will be performing and on the other end the general public needs a licence to buy hair dressing supplies such as hairspray and shampoo."

OK, not sure about the hairspray, but what happens when the plumbers and pipefitters say the same thing about sinks and copper piping, and p-traps and pvc and solder, and carpenters say the same thing about 2X4's and plywood and, yes, nails. C'mon, I understand your frustration, but there REALLY ARE some things a DIYer can do. Let's not get all bent out of shape. This is not magic; it's mostly no more than plain common sense. Guess I'm just not that politically correct.

Andy

In the electrical field, we deal with the safety of property and peoples lives!! This is what the issue is. How do you cause a fire which can destroy property and kill people with hairspray, 2X4's, copper pipe and so on?? I see you are retired and I am confident that you were and are good at your trade, but these are the issues in the industry today. To many fires and deaths out there that can be prevented and limiting electrical equipment to licensed electricians is a start in the right direction.

Never trust an electrician with no eyebrows!!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard